[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - What's missing?

What's missing?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: What's missing?

Postby ErikB » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 am

rootbeerking:
You can already put animations inside individual states of a Set-object but it begs the question if a tool or wizard could do that work for you. It's something I think about.

The camera only acts on one layer because of the underlying maths and hierarchy. Adding the ability to select multiple layers is a pretty case-specific convenience since you could use two camera actions acting simultaneously on their respective layer.

Eva13796:
I agree.

fleet:
That's not the case in Novelty. Novelty can't play GIF animations as is, so it converts them to PNG's (or JPG) when you import them and generates an Animation resource:
http://visualnovelty.com/docs/cc_import.html
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Vooqui » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 am

. A friend had suggested it but I'm already too stoked on Novelty to care. However, I would like to know about the "Ren'Py can be used to create story-based simulation games" bit that it says you can do. . It basically is a little money-type system where you work with items etc.

Now I understand that Novelty's code-programming editor could allow someone to create that. But what about making a simple version to the pro version? Or maybe just some nice code tutorials to help one get the basics laid out?
Vooqui

Postby ErikB » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 am

Ren'py was one of the reasons why I decided to make Novelty. Not because it's bad (or lacking in any way) but because I thought there was a need for a code-free alternative. I emphasize the word "alternative" because I still think there are valid reasons why someone would pick a programming-based engine like Ren'py over Novelty. That's fine. Especially if the game requires lots of coding. Though I bet that most people would pick a code-less engine over a programming-based one.

In theory you could make any kind of 2D game with Novelty's script language features (I've toyed with the idea of making platformers and schumps), but I still think there's something to be said about Ren'py's much older and larger community of code wizards that could help you realize such a project. Additionally since Ren'py is all code the step up from a "vanilla" VN to something more customized is a natural progression.

Personally I have gripes with the Python language and before Novelty I realized I would rather write my own games in C++ (of which I have much more experience) than learn how to be proficient in yet another language.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Vooqui » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 am

So you're suggesting I just inquire about code tutorials over at the Ren'Py community?

I'm assuming that any code they were to suggest is 100% compatible with Novelty?
Vooqui

Postby ErikB » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 am

No. Any Ren'py code would be 100% incompatible with Novelty. They're altogether different.

I'm just saying that Ren'py is an option for those who would rather code than use a less code-intensive tool like Novelty. If you're not already a familiar with programming then it's up to you if you want to take the time to learn Ren'py's or Novelty's .
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Vooqui » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:07 pm

I would rather stay with Novelty but still learn the coding in order to implement game play similar to the example game above. Any idea on how I would go about that without pulling my hair out?
Vooqui

Postby Avaible » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Eating your finger nails?

Except you have a natural talent at coding it won't be easy at least. If you have three words of code there are at least three possibilities that it won't work on first or second try.
They are called programming languages so expect to learn a new language.

But try it, else you won't know if you will or will not pull it off;)
Avaible

Postby silver_moonrise » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:27 pm

I don't know if it was suggested yet, but it would be very useful for dating sim games.

something like a point-count-system, visible for the creator but not in the finished game anymore.
for example, you have a choice of two, the one brings you +1 love point, and the other choice -1 point. besides the changing labels, counting the points, and settle the ending, would make it very easy to make a dating sim VN.

sorry for the suggestion, it'll be making much effort to update that to VN, and thats because its only a suggestion =)
thank you for hearing me out =D
Use you creativity to make a rainbow.. or something useful =_=
silver_moonrise

Postby Avaible » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Novelty's got a convenient thing called 'Console window' where you are able to follow your game infos and process and which is not available for a player of the stand-alone novel.

You can use the console window with in your scripts, and since you would have to work with scripts in order to create a point-system anyways you can simply put that one line in without any difficulties.
Avaible

Postby silver_moonrise » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:23 pm

I don't really get scripting, but thank you. i will figure that out. =D
silver_moonrise

Postby fleet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm

fleet

Postby silver_moonrise » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks a lot!
No need to script if you have a fleet =)
silver_moonrise

Postby fleet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 pm

fleet

Postby Avaible » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:50 am

My my, arigatou *blush*
Avaible

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development