[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Some questions from the beginner

Some questions from the beginner

Anything goes.

Some questions from the beginner

Postby Leprikon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi. I spend much time on studying doc's. Watched video tutorials, and it helped me a lot. :)
I ported my first VN to Novelty, and it looks much better. Have plans for the future, but need to get more experience.

What bothers me is:
Is there any tutorial how to make pixel shader effects? I was trying to figure it out by exploring that Novelty have, but it's pretty hard for me to understand :| .
I did my own menu, and than discovered, than Novelty has template for it. Was somewhat embarrassed :oops: . I tried it, and it works, but the main question - How? I have checked buttons and scripts, but they don't contain information about this. Maybe I missed something?

UPD: I figured out about screens :) .
Leprikon

Re: Some questions from the beginner

Postby Avaible » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, Leprikon.

It's not at all embarassing to create your own stuff, be it menus or anything else ;) The templates are there for learning, having an example to look at. No one requires that they be used.
Were the Screen all you didn't understand about the Menu? If not, just ask what you don't get yet.

About the Pixel Shader effects. Latest word I remember from ErikB (Developer of Novelty) is that there will be support for more of them in a full release of Novelty, so there is currently no way to make them yourself in Novelty Beta.
Avaible

Postby Leprikon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 am

Is it so? heh, than I have to make plans on paper for them. You know, when ideas pop up in the mind, you don't won't to lose them :). About the "Sample Novelty Interface", I can edit, yes?
Leprikon

Postby Avaible » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Change the Samples to fit your needs and/or create own assets, yes.
Avaible

Postby Leprikon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Good, thanks. Could I add sound volume like one of the parametrs in the options screen? And about log system can I tweak it somehow? Like store all data that player had seen during the play now, not just "after choise selection"?
Leprikon

Postby Avaible » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm

For the sound settings you can use sliders and change them to 'Change volume' in their property inspectors. Log data is stored for all of the current page, as far as I know. To change that you would need to ask ErikB if it's possible. You can, however, change the way the information is displayed. The sample uses a [name] : [dialogue] format, but you can tweak at least this to fit your wants. You'll find the information in the ShowLog link in the .
Avaible

Postby Leprikon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks, i'll add it to Option list. If you don't mind, i have some other questions.
I will have multiple choise system that will affect the flow of the story. So let's say play choosed Variant "B", and than, let's say after two hours of gaming he will reach the place, that is based on that choise (or not, if the main one was another, depends on Variant "B"). So, i have to make appear anothe scene. In programing language i think to make variable, type bool, and than check it, if it's true, than show another scene. So, before this, or at the end of previous scene i have to add script in to novel flow, yes? And another thing. I'll also have point system, but the method, i think, will be the same, only the type of variable will be int. Am i right?

And second question. Do you now some music, that can be used \ edited for VN use, without violation of the law?
Leprikon

Postby fleet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm

One way to do what you want is through using menus, variables, and the Branch action. See the third post in the linked topic for details

Here's an answer to your second question, there is a lot of royalty free music at .
The only license requirement is that you give credit to Kevin MacLeod

Regards,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Return to Random