[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Countering the reset of global variables after re-start.

Countering the reset of global variables after re-start.

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Countering the reset of global variables after re-start.

Postby Avaible » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Attachments
OvercomingGlobalResets.rar
Exchange the buttons for yours, and don't forget to change the name in the script.
(20.67 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
Avaible

Re: Countering the reset of global variables after re-start.

Postby skim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 pm

WHOA that's pretty GODMODE & it works awesome

EPICMODE: Can a save file be reset (deleted) from within the program to disable the path once it has been set?
EPICEPICMODE: Can other games read other games' save files?? (sequels?)
skim

Postby Avaible » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Glad that it works.

EPICMODE: Novelty doesn't seem to have that possibility, so I don't know how to do it without actually deleting the file in the safe folder.
MOREEPICMODE: That's something ErikB has to answer as that's probably more related to the Engine than the scripts I can write. Somehow.
Avaible

Postby jvcscasio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:04 am

How didn't I see this before! You saved my life!!!

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

If this was helpful to you you might also want to check out .
Avaible

Postby Halca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 am

This is wonderful! And so simple too, but so effective! :DD
Halca

Postby OtakuD50 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 am

The main flaw is that you can still save the game using the toolbar menu, well past whatever in-game limits you set. So if someone chooses to do that and use up save slots, they can mess the game up / cheat to unlock everything at the start.
OtakuD50

Postby Avaible » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:56 pm

True, that's why it's only a workaround until Erik finds time to release the next version.
Avaible

Postby Saint Vain » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

This would be very nice to use.

This can be used with CG galleries and Jukeboxes, correct, I would only need to change the reference to the appropriate screen?
Saint Vain

Postby Berwald » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

So ... what if I put in a gallery inside the novel, not in the title screen? So players can access it as they play through the novel and their save files determines the progress of the gallery.
Berwald

Postby Avaible » Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 pm

@SaintVain
Pretty much. Still, for something where you expect a lot of variable changes (basically, anything more than a gallery) you might want to read this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1147.

@Berwald
It doesn't matter where you access the gallery from. The point is that the changes of the gallery are restored when starting the game. While still playing everything works just fine anyway.
Avaible

Postby SeaMaid96 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

To tell the truth, I became a member of this forum just in order to write this message :lol:
It's very good that something such as Novelty could be created - tack så mycket, Erik! - and the fact that there are people who actually take the effort to get around any problems like this one makes it so much more fun.
The reason that I was looking and hoping for something like this was a project that I would do sometime, though I guess that I should actually start reading more novels myself before I start actively using this program. (In my project, you'd be able to listen to my music and recieve a commentary - if possible, I have to try the script first - , and more importantly, be able to start those new routes or whatever you call it in my case. In my case, you first are able to play as one character. You play wi- sounds wrong... you play AS him, you (hopefully) want to see how I'm gonna explain everything that's weird, and only when you are done you can play as another character to see what's going on for him/her at the same time and thus recieve an answer. ).

Speaking of the project... I apologize for sounding like I'm... ungrateful, or if it's really easy to do with scripts (that's the problem - I can't program worth sh.. ), but on , they do mention "adding a random number generator".
(How) Would it be possible to add it?
Let's say, for example, that during a game, a character X's actions end up changing how likely she is to get a good ending.
We jump to a scene, the start of X's worst ending.
How that ending plays out depends on whether character Y is insane or not. (I'll try to write every scene before that to make it ambiguous if the variable is true or not. And I don't think that many would complain about the game being luck-based anyway, as there will be problems even without his mentality being screwed...)
As it would make no sense to have the player's actions change a variable for his sanity (which was acquired before the story takes place), we could say that there's a random variable where 1 time out of 8 he'll turn out not to be insane (or else the story will end up even more MindScrewy than I've evidently planned and had to make it, and you either get this worst ending where he's always innocent or the other endings ... and that would fall into the category of his state being dependent on your actions yet again...) .
Svenska är mitt modersmål.
I:
Compose music for fun (PM me for more info).
Should start reading more.
Deliberately miss the point of the weirdest series.
Never know what to write in signatures...
SeaMaid96

Postby Avaible » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Avaible

Postby SeaMaid96 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for that, too! :)
Svenska är mitt modersmål.
I:
Compose music for fun (PM me for more info).
Should start reading more.
Deliberately miss the point of the weirdest series.
Never know what to write in signatures...
SeaMaid96

Postby 8oni » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:13 am

Thank you very much for this, really.

I can finally make the 'extra' for my vn. :mrgreen:
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Return to Support & Development