[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Once upon a time (demo)

Once upon a time (demo)

Show off your works in progress or share your completed games with the community.

Once upon a time (demo)

Postby Moonya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:57 am

This is a demo of my first Novel once upon a time. The demo contains a full chapter of the game, and has two endings. This demo is intended as a test to see if my game skills are not to rough and if my game is liked. Screenshots are ofcourse of this first part of my game. I tried to get the best out of me, and out of novelty. Comments and critics are always welcome so I can improve my game if necessary. :D (ps. I hope the screenshots are not to big)

New download: http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd51775 ... a_time.rar (including the fmodex.dll file)

The game:
Once upon a time, on beautiful little fairytaleplanet, lives a fairytale princess in search of her destiny. It is up to you to guide her trough life and deal with her horrible sibling and other challenges. Choose your own princess name, and guide your character through the daily affairs of the fairytale life. Play gimes like hide and seek, quiz and trivia, puzzles and many more. Play through more than 30 famous fairy and other tales, with over 40 different endings. Whether it's marriage, a career or other destinations, at the end of the day only the Happely Ever After counts.

Last edited by Moonya on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonya

Re: Once upon a time (demo)

Postby Avaible » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 pm

I want to play this!
But you didn't include the fmodex.dll file in the download, so I can't ... :cry:

(Well, I can by using the fmodex file in my Novelty folder, but I don't know wether everyone wants to download Novelty just to play your game;-) )

Well, I'm playing it now, I'll be back.

Edit: Maybe it's because I'm not using the right fmodex file, but all buttons and stuff are completely ... ehm, unreadable and stuff. This is a downer, even though I want to play this game so badly right now ... guess I just have to wait for the new link for now.
Anyways, I've read until the first choice and I really enjoyed that bit already^^
If you keep that pace up this is going to be a really fun story.
Avaible

Postby Moonya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 pm

ahm, I am so sorry, I guess I made a beginners mistake. What files do I need to include in the rar? The.exe, the .nvz, apparently the fmodex.dll :oops: , and do I need to include the delete.me to?
Moonya

Postby Avaible » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:42 pm

The first three should be enough ;)
Avaible

Postby Moonya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Then I did it right this time. You can download the game above in the first post. Enjoy :D
Moonya

Postby Avaible » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Kay, well, what to say? The same problems still remain, unfortunately.
The font is sometimes too big for the text-box, so one can't read everything. The buttons are especially unreadable. The images for the borders (which I think are supposed to exist) for Study/Work etc aren't shown properly and I have the feeling that there are more things missing I don't know about. That's very ... unfortunate, since you already put so much into it.

Oh, and when I played through the demo, I suddenly started after the first choice (how does the MC look like) again. Was that planned?

So, I don't know if those errors are some kind of problem on my end or not, but with all that it makes the novel much less enjoyable.
As for the positive things, I'm glad that you could incorporate the bars and variables all right. The story is predictable (well, obviously, right?) and rushed, but fun. It would be better though if you would elaborate the whole thing more, since the events happen really fast right after another.
Anyways, I'm curious what kinds of other games you will add and wether the story really develops the way I think it will, so have fun with further working on it.
Avaible

Postby Moonya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:24 pm

I don't get it. I played the game on my computer untill I got to the cinderella roster. Then I tried every button (cook, sleep, study, work and quest) and it all worked perfectly for me. Could this be because I have a lot of non original novelty assets in my game?

As for some of the choises, it is a demo, so you can only play the 'blonde with glasses story' and the 'sit at brothers table' part. When you try another choise you should get a text saying: Sorry, but in this demo this choise is not available. Again, on my computer that worked with no problem at all.

Thank you for your comment on the story. I was afraid if i elaborated to much, it would be to boring, but obviously I got that one wrong :D . I will be working on that. The fact that the bars and variables all work is all thanks to you, and you have my gratitude for that.

For now, however, I will put my game developing on hold until I figure out how to solve the buttons and stuff problems. So if anyone else tried my novel demo, and it worked, or did not work for you, feel free to post this here on the forum.
Moonya

Postby fleet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Regarding the fonts overflowing the text boxes, there could be two reasons.

The first reason is on the player's end if they are running Vista or Windows 7. The solution is to reset the font in your Windows preferences to the default fixes it (I don't think that's the problem here, since Avaible has been running Novelty games for some time).

The second reason is on the game designer's end. When created, the text boxes were not large enough for the font being used. Solution is to reduce the font size in all text boxes.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Moonya » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Yes, but why does it work on my computer and not on someone else's? I have no problem at all with my textboxes, so how can I fix something that on my computer doesn't need fixing?
Moonya

Postby fleet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:43 am

Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Moonya » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Moonya

Postby Avaible » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:00 pm

As long as your Resources are shown in your Asset library in Novelty it could be solvable with right-clicking on them and manually adding them to the project. Maybe you wouldn't have to transform them into objects then. That's only a guess, though.
Btw, I'm running Vista.
Avaible

Return to Expo