[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Novelty development thread

Novelty development thread

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: Novelty development thread

Postby ErikB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Attachments
novelty_screen1.jpg
Editing a screen in Novelty
novelty_screen2.jpg
Same screen shown during gameplay
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Taishi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 pm

sadly those pics seem to ignore that they are suposed to show =P

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby ErikB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Fixed.

Granted, this kind of feature doesn't show well in screenshots.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm working on a new game saving system.
The current system isn't very good at all. It only saves a few tokens of information and can only load to the start of a page.

The new system will make a high-fidelity record of the current game state so you will be able to save and then load to any part of a page or thread. I'm also adding thumbnails.

But I'm having some problems at the moment. My first implementation blew up in my face. The second attempt is a bit more successful, but there are a lot of special cases that I need to consider. If it can't reproduce the saved game to 100% accuracy, it could produce bugs in your games.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Taishi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Thank you god(Erik)...
I bet You know how long i waited for that =P

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby greenambit » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:07 am

Oooh, this looks useful.
greenambit

Postby Ira » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:15 am

Ira

Postby ErikB » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks again, Ira. I'll take all of these into consideration.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 am

Still working on the game saving system. It's taking time because I want to get it right and there are a lot of separate pieces that needs to work together. The core code is written and works great (so far) but there's still a lot of work do be done.

You'll be able to create custom load/save screens to fit the look of your game but I'm also creating a built-in load/save dialog that you get by default.

I want to get a new release out as soon as this is done, but I will probably spend some time to create a few templates so you can get started with this stuff right away.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Over the past days I've focused on improving deployment, i.e. how you go from Novelty project to a finished executable.
You will now have more control over how your stand-alone are built and for that there's a new dialog:

novelty_export.png
novelty_export.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 15291 times

There's a log that will help you track down problems and make sure all of your assets were exported.
You now have the option to set a custom icon for your game.

The name of the nvz-file is now compiled into the exe so there's no longer any need for Config.xml to exist.
And you no longer need the Microsoft DLL's either. The only DLL you need to distribute is fmodex.dll.

Additionally, in the Option-tab there's a box that you can check if you want no nvz-file at all. If checked, Novelty will compile all content into the exe itself and you're left with a single executable file that's super easy to pass around.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Currently working on the code for toggling fullscreen mode, but I'm having some problems. The game will sometimes appear frozen when toggling from fullscreen to windowed, and "sometimes" is like a curse word for us programmers.

It's working now.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Due to the hurdles I had to jump to get the fullscreen mode working I'm now redesigning some core parts of the graphics engine, mainly how video memory is managed.
This probably doesn't affect most of you in any shape or form. Just thought I'd let you in on what I'm doing right now.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Beato » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to add something like, ''do you want to save this project before making a new novel. because when I worked on my VN I accidently pressed the new novel buttom and all my unsaved progress dissapeared. :cry:
雪の羽 時の風
- Yuki no Hane, Toki no Kaze
Beato

Postby ErikB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:25 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Beato » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

I am using 8.2 And when I press new novel It says Any unsaved progress will be lost and I can press either OK or cancel (or Avbryt in my case) but even if I press cancel it starts a new novel anyway.
Beato

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development