[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Light's World- A digimon02 otome game (WIP)

Light's World- A digimon02 otome game (WIP)

Show off your works in progress or share your completed games with the community.

Light's World- A digimon02 otome game (WIP)

Postby Quirki » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Hello, I'm Lyrl/Quirki, and I'm attempting to create my first dating sim game based on the old anime, digimon. Digimon 02 to be exact. I've been lurking around here for a while now, trying to figure Novelty out and drawing some test pictures and background on my own. I'm still new to this program (I've only officially started on the project this week, and fiddling with Novelty for less than a month.), so I'll probably have lots of questions later on as I try to get the game to function the way I want it to-- But so far I have been looking at tutorials and using the search bar to get my questions answered, so I'm good for now.

PS: if I were to ask questions, is it better for me to create a new topic in the appropriate threads, or ask the questions here?

The story, art and compilation of the game itself using novelty are all going to be done by me. Some test cgs and screentest.

--

I'm trying to keep the cg style simple and effective since it's a fanmade game and I don't want to spend too much effort on it. I've planned the story to span over one school year so it's gonna be pretty lengthy. Therefore the cg method has to be simplified, so that I don't overwork in the process of it's creation. (currently I can do one character cg(without expression change) in 30 minutes, if I'm focused enough.) I will also be modeling some simple 3D backgrounds and painting over them for more perspective orientated shots, to save time racking my brains tweaking perspective. -still has lots to learn-

--

Game description:

Basically in this game you will be playing as Hikari Yagami, one of the girls in digimon(02), the story will be set in Odaiba Middle School, a school that her brother's generation canonically attend in the 02 series but was hardly ever shown. The time line will be set 2 years after 02, where Hikari and most of the 02 digidestined begin their first year being secondary school students. The pairings featured are namely, Takari (TakeruXHikari), Daikari (DaisukeXHikari) and Kenkari (KenXHikari), despite the screentest; Taichi, her brother, is NOT a datable route, though he would play a part in the story.
--

I haven't fully planned out the entire game yet, though I do have the general outline down. Man, making a story with different outcomes depending on choices is actually rather hard-- But so fun at the same time. It really opens up lots of different opportunities for story creation, and is such a flexible medium to work with. I wasn't really exposed to Visual Novels or dating sim games as much until this year, so it's a really new world for me. Though, Digimon is such an old fandom, I can't help but feel that I would only be attracting a small group of audience to play this game... If you're a non digimon fan, or at least an ex digimon fan, would you play this game? Please tell me what you think!

Also, one final question. Of course, being a fan game, there is no way I would be making this commercial and/or selling this. Though I would like to ask, if I were to make an original game in the future using Novelty, am I allowed to sell it? Thanks for the answers in advance!
Quirki

Re: Light's World- A digimon02 otome game (WIP)

Postby Avaible » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Avaible

Postby fleet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Quirki,
Welcome to the forum. Your artwork is cute.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Wright » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Cute? You're kidding. It's fantastic. Surely the artist is a professional one.
Anyway, if it's a digimon game, hope there will be battle systems, digimon upgrades, etc. etc.
Wright

Postby Quirki » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, means a lot to me(: (and sorry for the late reply, busy weekdays...)

Thanks for the welcome Avaible, and also thanks for all the tutorials you have made for Novelty, really helped me a whole ton. Thanks again! Alright, I will raise questions in new thread or something if such a problem surfaces.

Thanks for the critique as well(: Though sorry if I didn't mention, all of the above are all test cgs, which means none of them will be used in the final version of the game (maybe not so for the background though). I wanted to get a feel of using the Novelty interface first, before jumping into the real deal, so I made a few test drawings and colours to import as actors. I'll be sure to correct my mistakes for the final onesC:

--

Thanks fleetC: And thanks for the compliment tooC:

--

Thanks Wright. I'm not professional, but I'm an animation student, so I do draw a lot. Still got lots to learn though.

Also, sorry for not mentioning earlier, but this will not be an adventure game. During the initial stages for planning, I actually did intend for this game to be more of an adventure game story. Though, the story eventually expanded so much that I've decided to split it into two games. The first, which is also what this game is-- will be more of a slice of life story revolving around Hikari, mentions of their digimon and the digital world in general might be added but they will not be appearing in the game. The children will not be visiting the digital at all for this game (sadly, I'm sorry.), so no, there won't be any battle systems or upgrades. It will be more pairing orientated and dating sim game like. (Besides, I think making battle systems and upgrades for a first attempt beginner like me might be a little too hard^^; )

Though, for the second game I'm planning (which, realistically speaking, will not be realized until maybe a few years later...), would be more adventure orientated, there's hardly any development for this as of now; But I'm planning to explore on the plot points within the show itself, specifically the dark ocean. Which had lots of potential but was never really explored in the series. Like the previous game, it will also have dating sim elements, so it'll be more like a VN+ dating sim for the second game.

And lest I forget to mention later, the first game would be more epilogue centric, but with a few twists introduced. I'm trying to make it feel as close to canon as possible, or at least as close to my head-canon.
--

I will be posting more art related progress here, for both art and story development progress, this is my tumblr where I post updates for this game and stuff.
http://obsessed-with-elevens.tumblr.com ... %27s_World
--

and again, thanks!C:
Quirki

Postby Avaible » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Avaible

Postby Wright » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:02 pm

If you think you will make this game with Renpy, I can help you with the programming.
I can create the battle system for you. But only if you use Renpy.
Besides, Novelty is not yet fully developed.
Wright

Postby Miss-Mae » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:44 pm

I am not a Takari fan at all, but as a Digimon fan, this is so totally exciting! I can't WAIT to see more work for this! And fyi, I will TOTALLY play this game! :D
- Come check out my art site! \o/
Miss-Mae

Return to Expo