[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - What's missing?

What's missing?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

What's missing?

Postby ErikB » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I've been thinking recently about the progression of Novelty recently and I think it's about time I take Novelty out of Beta. The engine is stable enough so it mostly comes down to implementing all of those essential features that you expect from a visual novel engine.

Things off the top of my head:
"NVL"-mode.
Improved logging.
Text timing.
Access to engine properties such as master volume, text speed, etc.

What am I forgetting? I want to hear what you wish to see in Novelty 1.0.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Re: What's missing?

Postby Taishi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 pm

The only thing that comes to mind - but mind you im not going to use it for now =P
is the vioce sounds implemented into dialog or something ike that =P
other than that...
i have no idea =P

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby nuke_bloodaxe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 am

I'm a bit out of the loop right now as I'm being overloaded with projects, but if you currently support everything that Chaos;Head can do [it's a good example of different features] then I'm all set.

I finally have a commercial team of artists :) It took me long enough to find them though... its not until they need money that they come begging...
nuke_bloodaxe

Postby Halca » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:08 am

Voice acting would be a cool feature :D
Halca

Postby Bane Rieko » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Voice acting (probably).

And the option to pause text in the middle if dialogue until a click. Either that isn't in or I keep missing it... (Example: *dialoguedialoguedialogue* pause and a mouse click is required to continue *still more dialogue without a new paragraph completely*)
Bane Rieko

Postby ErikB » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm

It's already possible to have voice acting, though it could use some improvements.

I'm going to add a couple more I just remembered:
Auto-play and more control over skipping.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Nio » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 am

Nio

Postby Hime » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Looking for a creative environment for the non-coding side of the VN-making process? Join us at !
Hime

Postby Beato » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm

a global save file is a must if novelty will move away from beta, its a must if you wnat games where the routes have to be played in a certain order like F/SN. I also think something like add CG should exist, you should be able to make a cg gallery, music player and options menus without coding.
雪の羽 時の風
- Yuki no Hane, Toki no Kaze
Beato

Postby Zel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Would it be possible to get spell check to underline words in dialogue boxes, or perhaps to export a script to be able to open it in a program with spell check, then revert it back? Some kind of spell check, if possible, would make my horrible illiteracy less of a burden upon my editors.
Zel

Postby Hime » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I was wondering if there could be a possibility to have a mode that works without the page system. Honestly, so far I and some other fellow makers have found the pages (and how you cannot change a background while in one, plus you have to re-enter your actors, etc) to be a rigid spot in the otherwise so flexible Novelty. There are instances where you want to change the background or CG for a line or two - like a flashback, or a variation in the CG, or effects in an action scene - and this is where the page system is inconvenient. There could be an alternative for it, say, the scene/episode/label mode, in which the maker could split the script into labels between which graphics do not reset, in which it is possible to change backgrounds and other graphics conveniently, but which you could jump to.
Looking for a creative environment for the non-coding side of the VN-making process? Join us at !
Hime

Postby ErikB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Hmm.
Something I've been wanting to add for a while is a Create object-action. It would let you create (and fade in) a new temporary background on top of your existing one.

Having to recreate actors is an inconvenience indeed. Would it help if I made it so that you could have actors auto-enter at the start of a page? I'm sure the editor would be able to help you with that.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Hime » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Oho, that sounds quite good to me! The auto-enter would be very convenient. As for the backgrounds, maybe one option could also be a global background object: you would define an object on a global layer in the scene window, and could change the background through defining the value of this object throughout the story. The object could simply be a space for graphics of certain size on a certain layer so it could be used for CGs as well.
Hime

Postby ErikB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I think it should be a property of the page itself, much like the background color, and not an object per se.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Hyperguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 am

I'd like to see more standard VN controls on exported game's menus.

Right now options include Load Game, Save Game, and Quit, but I think one that should be added is Restart Game/Return to Title.

Doesn't even have to be anything complex, just an easy way to send the game back to Chapter 1, Page 1. As it stands now I either have to close and reopen the entire game or hard code a button in somewhere to restart the game.
Hyperguy

Next

Return to Support & Development