[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Bug reporting thread

Bug reporting thread

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: Bug reporting thread

Postby ErikB » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby yummy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Ah yes forgot to say it only occurs when you've not launched the game, that it appears only when you're editing, that there is no typo. I just copied the demo you made :)
But as sometimes you're lost in your text, it's good to know what a string variable refers to if it is displayed in the scene viewer window.
yummy

Postby rootbeerking » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 am

Hello I've found a bug, I have a point in my test VN where I change the state of a character, then wait for user input, then i hide the text box, name box, and their respective dialogues, then another wait for user input, followed by showing only the dialogue font again ending with a message. However when testing this the scene view won't show past the first wait for user input. I keep clicking and it never hides anything nor does it show the message after all that. If my explanation sucks I can send you the test VN I'm working on.
rootbeerking

Postby yummy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:46 am

Please try this script.
Attachments
display.rar
script example
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
yummy

Postby ErikB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby yummy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Here's the updated .
I didn't include the copied Assets folder (so, sort of no sound).

As usual, unrar and play.
yummy

Postby canikizu » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Don't know if it's a bug or just my comp.
Scene view resolution is constant no matter how much I resized the window. As a result, parts of the scene was hidden, and there are no scroll bar to scroll.
Here is my screenshot

As a result, I have to adjust other windows like this, and there is no space left to do anything.

canikizu

Postby yummy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Yes it is normal (as far as I know).
You can make it smaller with the magnify tool located under the main menu.
You might reduce to 50% if you want to see everything.
It is the only way for now.
yummy

Postby ErikB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 pm

You can also pan by holding down the middle mouse button (assuming you have a mouse with more than two buttons)
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby BigFish » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Not sure if this a bug per se, but Novelty seems to be a real processor hog. Both the player and the editor take up about 50% or 75% in the indicator on the alt+ctrl+del screen, and I have a dual core 2.5 ghz processor. It doesn't seem like it should be using that much....

I'm not sure about the editor since I have quite a lot of textures loaded into it, but the player takes up this much even without a visual novel loaded at all.

Other than that, it's worked flawlessly so far. Working with Novelty is a lot of fun, and I've been able to make a nice little test game with it. :mrgreen:
BigFish

Postby yummy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Suggestions:
- More documentation on event controls.
On sprites, textures, text layers, you have the possibility to add a function (if that's what I understood) with onHide, onShow...
The only ones I know so far are Fade and Bounce (one of the scripts is named that way, could it be...?).
How do you create such events? Is it a means to use the angelscript ?

- Some sort of novelty configuration control over the assets.
When you import an object, Novelty does not verify if the file still exists or not in the default Assets folder after you reload the UI. This might lead to a crash if you try to use an imported media and it does not exist (or is deprecated by renaming, etc).
Also, there is no way to rename or to discard an imported material (you have to do it manually).

- Error handling
Although the very philosophy of Novelty is to make errors invisible so that the game experience is not wasted, would it be possible that a small message appears somewhere, telling you there are errors and you need to check the log for further info? (and implement some sort of verbosity level? Like allowing this message box to appear or not).

- A way to change Animations (speed, position) with an Action (script?)

. A better handling of the text layer. I can't modify its opacity (or maybe I'm not doing it the right way).

- Moar .
yummy

Postby rootbeerking » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:35 pm

Another bug of sorts I just came across is that when doing a transition, the text for the dialogue and name boxes are shown during the transition(the transition I'm using is the page flip). Is there away to make it so they aren't shown? I understand I could just take out the text and it wouldn't be shown, but it's convenient to have it there during the making of the VN to click on and such in case you need to edit/move it.
rootbeerking

Postby ErikB » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:32 am

yummy: Documentation on scripted events is coming.

I'm not sure why you can't change the opacity. Are you using scripts? If so, when you change the opacity property of an Object you also need to call Refresh() on that object, or use the SetOpacity() method.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby rootbeerking » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 am

Another bug, I tried making a stand-alone build however when the game starts up the dialog won't start and after clicking the program crashes with the typical "_____.exe has encounted a problem and needs to close." error message. This happens after the splash screen of course.

rootbeerking

Postby ErikB » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:49 am

Care to send me the nvz file? I presume this only happens when you're running it as a stand-alone?
ErikB
Novelty developer

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development