[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Bug reporting thread

Bug reporting thread

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: Bug reporting thread

Postby ErikB » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:13 am

I know for a fact that the XML-parser Novelty use does not support unicode, but it does support UTF-8 so generally it hasn't been an issue.
It might be that the xml that the bitmap font generator generates contains Unicode characters.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Halca » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:29 am

My friend had this happen to her when a blur effect came up at a point in a test novel I sent her:

testpic1.jpg

I didn't get this error when I played the novel myself, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I use windows XP and she uses Vista, if that means anything in this case.
Halca

Postby ErikB » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:12 am

Halca: I think I know what's going on there.
Pixel shaders are still in an experimental state. Especially the ones that pull from the back buffer (blur, invert, mosaic).
It'll get better as I work on it some more.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Halca » Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 am

So for a game demo that I recently put together one of my testers ran into an error that said that it was not a Win32 application and didn't let them use the software. What is this error?
Halca

Postby fleet » Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 am

Information at this link might help.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000726.htm
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Halca » Mon May 09, 2011 3:31 am

Ah, I think it might be that that person has an overactive antivirus software. Since I made an installer to go with it, it might have disturbed the antivirus program.
Halca

Postby Roxxi » Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Whenever I go to play my VN, it crashes.
It does this without warning, and I can't find a way to make it happen manually.
And it always happens right after I hit the play button (it happens with all of them) and I have done a lot of work on my VN.
Roxxi

Postby Avaible » Sat May 21, 2011 11:01 pm

If there really is no clue on why it crashes (have you looked in the log.txt file?) you could upload the whole novel for us to see if the same happens on different computers.
Avaible

Postby Roxxi » Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 pm

... It won't let me upload it... It says the file is too big...
Roxxi

Postby fleet » Sun May 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby ErikB » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

The log.txt file will rarely be large enough to where you will have to compress it. It's much more likely that you tried to upload a different file.

It's really hard for me to evaluate your problem unless you give me more information. The log file could potentially contain that information, but it rarely does after a crash.

Another way to dissect the issue is to dissect your game. Make a temporary copy and then remove pieces from your game until it stops crashing. Then you should be able to discern what causes the crash or at least give me a ball park idea of where to look for bugs. Basically: figure out what part of your game differs from other users' games - which are not crashing.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Zypharium » Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 pm

If you delete a picture (while in use) Novelty crashes. :x
Zypharium

Postby Cerulean » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Erik,

In case this wasn't mentioned or discovered, the shortcut 'F2' doesn't rename the 'Thread' name like I think it's supposed to when pressed. Nothing happens, and I did make sure the thread was highlighted as well. It doesn't seem to work for the pages, either. :D
Cerulean

Postby IzzyPuff » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:12 pm

So generally my Novetly was working fine until recently. But now the Designer and player won't work at all. The designer won't open and keeps giving me this message, "Failed creating the Direct3d Device" when yesterday the whole program was working fine, so I really don't think it has something to do with the video card. I had a similar problem with the Novetly.exe file, but fixed it by switching its compatibility with Windows 2000.
I tried to test the stand-alone feature to see how my game worked and it keep giving the message it couldn't find the player.nvz file. I re downloaded the file, and tried some of the older versions but I was still having problems.

Designer Log Notes
Create device: Invalid call
Asking DirectX to detect optimal settings: 0x80040905
[Error] Failed to create Direct3D device

I'm also getting no image handler for type 17.

Anyone have any clues?
IzzyPuff

Postby n4d14 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am

Hi,
A noob here :D and I just finished downloading the lates one, BETA 0.8.9. In the File There are three programs, Novelty, designer and player.
I am able to open the Novelty and Designer but the PLAYER when I click on it this comes up:

Novelty version: 0.8.9
Loading content from file: Player.nvz
[Error] Unable to open Player.nvz

so I can't open that application, is this a bug or something is missing in the zip file?
n4d14

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development