[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Novelty development thread

Novelty development thread

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: Novelty development thread

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 am

Sailor Star Dust

Postby ErikB » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:21 am

Yeah I accidentally broke it when I made some changes to that code.
It has been fixed for the upcoming release (you only have to deal with it until then).
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Alright, thanks a lot for the prompt reply. ^_^
Sailor Star Dust

Postby ErikB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Here's another random fix that I've made for version 0.8.6.
All images in Novelty are subject to interpolation by the graphics hardware (DirectX). It automatically smoothes an image when it resized. The problem has been that images appear slightly blurred even at 1:1 scale, where the interpolation shouldn't affect the outcome, mathematically. It's not something you generally notice, but it becomes evident with some images.

This has now been fixed and images will look sharp at 1:1 scale, as they should.

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I thought I'd update you guys on what's been happening on the development side of Novelty.

The fact of the matter is that very little has happened during the past couple of months. The are a few reasons, but mainly it's because I've been tied up with a web development job for my dad.
This job was big and hard and it left little room for Novelty. I'm happy to say that I'm pretty much done with that job now.

Last weeks I was told about a job opening at a local game company. I sent them an application and they called me up within like five minutes. They brought me in the next day and I got to see what they were working on. Everything pointed towards me getting that job so I started making plans to move to a new apartment and other preparations. But then, out of the blue, they found someone else to hire and I had to unravel my plans and rethink my future.

So right now I find myself right where I started. Novelty is back in focus and I'm adamant on completing and releasing the commercial version (along with more releases of the regular version). I'm super bummed about the job, but I know I will find comfort in Novelty. I'm so sick of web development and I'm looking forward to some good ol' C++, not to mention interacting with all you guys. Frankly, I might need some time to re-familiarize myself with the code since my memory is good but short.

I guess what I'm saying is: Been busy. Expect updates soon.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Taishi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 pm

awwwww
*pats Erik*
dont worry it will be good =)
we have faith in you ^^
and we suport you jobless or not =P

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby skim » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh shoot, so I guess I didn't miss much while I was away since November studying for that JLPT test (and then spending the last 2 months unwinding from studying for the test!)

:D I'm Looking forward to the improvements to come to Novelty!
Every time I redownload the program there's a lot of improvements and it's getting easier and easier to use.
At this rate, I'm sure that the commercial version will be outstanding!
skim

Postby ErikB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 am

After some time feeling dissatisfied with the performance of my computer I upgraded to Windows 7. I also upgraded to Visual studio 2010. (Both now fully legal copies, yay).

This meant I had to convert the Novelty project and do some fiddling to get it to compile again in the new environment. This was a time consuming process but I finally finished the conversion this past weekend.

Curiously, once I was running Windows 7 I started experiencing a rendering bug that but which I haven't been able to reproduce. Since I now got the same error I was able to find the cause and fix it.

Because of my day job I haven't been able to work on Novelty on a regular basis and the consequence is that I'm not as intimate with the source code as I used to be. This means that I can't really take on tasks that requires major changes to the engine. I'm mainly buffing the editor.

I won't be able to work on Novelty full time again until mid-July so my current plan is to release the next version of Novelty in late July, early August.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Taishi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:19 pm

no rush =P
you are still a god for us for doing all that conding =)
we will wait =)

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby skim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:37 pm

I just got a droid phone and I was thinking...

Oh man, novelty games in droid would be so much fun!
I hope Novelty will have the capability to make games for Droid one day!

skim

Postby megami23 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm

The drop down menu is so cool!
Will it be available in Novelty sometime soon?
megami23

Postby ErikB » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am

The drop down menu is just something I created within Novelty using scripts. I had a plan to release it as a prefab. I never finished it, but I might still do that.

I've been thinking about sitting down and creating more content, rather than programming more features, but I haven't had the time.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby nuke_bloodaxe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:33 am

It might be worthwhile having a list of desired prefab content, with current progress, in its own section. That way final version prefabs could be posted there, outside the chaos of the Basement ;)

The theory goes that while you make prefabs and other sections of code every-so-often, if someone beats you to the punch you can post that one up and save yourself a little time.
nuke_bloodaxe

Postby Vooqui » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:30 am

I have an interesting question...

Say you start a project now. Will you be able to transfer your save file material over to the purchased licensed version?
Vooqui

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development