[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Novelty development thread

Novelty development thread

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Re: Novelty development thread

Postby ErikB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:38 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Beato » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:41 pm

I hadnt really done that much so it was okay, by the way does novelty support å ä and ö?
雪の羽 時の風
- Yuki no Hane, Toki no Kaze
Beato

Postby ErikB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:50 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm almost done with 0.8.3 now. I've been testing it the past couple of days and it was good that I did because I found a bunch of bugs that I had missed. I am very happy with the features that has been added and I know you will be too.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Ira » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Ira

Postby ErikB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:25 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Ira » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Ira

Postby ErikB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 pm

I see. I'll consider it.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Ira » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Ira

Postby ErikB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:32 pm

I'm updating the script engine (Angelscript) from 2.16.3 to 2.17.1 and the new version apparently breaks everything.
So I'm forced to rewrite all of the Novelty-based script classes and math functions. It's a real pain in the neck.

Due to the fact I'm rewriting critical script classes I will have to spend a lot of time testing the script engine all over again.
It's a lot of work for no added functionality, so I'm a little ticked.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:19 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:18 am

Those of you who've followed me on should know I decided to rewrite the action window.
The action list was one of the first things I wrote and is code was pretty bad. I've fixed every caveat that I'm aware of.
Things to note is the new action catalogue window (with collapsible groups), embedded icons, word wrapping and the ability to change the font and text size.

novelty_actions_old.png
Old action list

novelty_actions_new.png
New action list
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby ErikB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:44 pm

In the next version I'm adding a splash screen to the Novelty editor.
The purpose goes beyond just branding. The splash screen will contain a live news feed, enabling me to notify all Novelty users of any updates or community news. On the right is another feed dedicated to help articles and tutorials.

novelty_splash.png
The new Novelty splash screen

The first revision had my on there but I reached the conclusion that it didn't add any real value other than nerd creds.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Taishi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:36 am

guess that made me a nerd =P

Im the Astral Claw warrior
Taishi

Postby ErikB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:14 pm

The problem with fetching the Tweets was that it would sometimes take like several seconds for the Twitter server to respond.
If it takes too long then the user is simply going to click through and not see the update.

The download doesn't disrupt the start-up of Novelty, but it does disrupt the shutdown. So if you opened up Novelty and immediately close it.
It would hang until the download was completed. For that reason I want to set the timeout fairly low, at about 5 seconds.
During my testing Twitter generally took longer than 5 seconds to respond and I didn't get any tweets at all.

The news feed is downloaded from visualnovelty.com, which has a really good host that I've used for years and years. The latest news
are saved so if the connection failed you still get something.
ErikB
Novelty developer

PreviousNext

Return to Support & Development