Text changes depending on computer? Help!

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Text changes depending on computer? Help!

Postby Cherrylin94 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:45 am

So I'm working hard on a visual novel, but using two computers (one at home and my laptop when I'm out), I'm noticing a rather large issue..
Things look fine at my home computer, but if I play the game on my laptop, the text will mess up. I'm using "native text object" mainly, because I need the shadows and borders. I resize the text by the box' size, etc., works just fine on my home computer.

And then I open the game, (both the game itself and in Novelty has been tried) on my laptop, and the text is suddenly.. well, typically a tad larger, and can't be read because it's now larger than the box and it doesn't wrap and trim as I believe it should. It just sort of goes outside the box, getting cut off.

This is a huge issue to me, because if I "publish" this game, I'm sure some people will have the same issue.

Please help.

I also noticed that, I used a downloaded font at some points, and (a bit more understandable) it changed into something resembling Arial on my laptop. How do I "transfer" the font? (I want to mention I did not have to "import bitmap font" for this font which is why I used it, looked easy and neat).

*Edit; Also tried to change resolution on my laptop, but absolutely no change.
Cherrylin94

Re: Text changes depending on computer? Help!

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Regarding text 'not properly fitting into a text box, reset the font in your Windows preferences to the default.
In Windows 7 you do this by going into the Control Panel, select Fonts, select change font size, the select the default size.

I include a readme file with each of my visual novels with this information.

I've noticed a similar problem on VNs that are created on a wide-screen monitor and then played on a non-widescreen monitor. If the VN text is okay on the non-widescreen monitor, I suspect it should be okay on wide screens.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question about transferring fonts.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Cherrylin94 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Ah, thanks so much, I'll have to take a look at that!
Though I wonder which of my computers don't have the default font size, then? Maybe I misunderstood you x'D Albeit I can imagine it's my laptop. It's always looked a tad different in its resolution, albeit not unclear or anything. I'll have to look at it though, I thank you a lot ^^
Cherrylin94

Postby Cherrylin94 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:26 pm

In case someone else is looking for this answer,

I figured it out. It's enough to just inlcude the font installation and put a readme so people will install the font.
Cherrylin94

Postby 8oni » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm

So, I'm now working on my second vn. And someone point to me that they want me using a different font for my vn. And this is where I got the same problems. So this is how I solve it.

If you want to have the fonts looking the same on Novelty regardless of what computer that you use [I'm working at 2 different comp too, 1 is XP [Yes, I know the support is going to ended soon or might already ended :p ] and the other is 7] you have to use BMFont. It's already included on Novelty, see the picture below. Just open the folder and install it.
Second, dl the font that you want to use and install it first on your comp. You only need to install it on the current comp where you using Novelty right now.
I will use font from here : http://www.dafont.com/filmhimmel.d736
You don't need to dl the font, but feel free to do that if you want to.

Then open the BMF program and open Font Settings using Options->Font Settings or just use hit F and find that font that you just install. Now this is where you set the font size and italic/bold etc. Sadly, you can only have one setting per one choice. Means that you can't have a font that have bold or italic choice but only bold and italic. And that also work for the font size. I make 2 size of them and save them as different bmf. The default 32 is good for button. But too small for text so I save the other one as 56. But it's up to you to use whatever size that you think best.
For the other settings, I suggesting you read this : http://www.visualnovelty.com/docs/cc_fonts.html
I'm not gonna tell you what texture size that you should use here, it's already there on documentation :p
Because you can see the size and the looks of your font using Options-Visualize [V]. Above is the preview of my fonts.
After you are satisfied with it, just save it on wherever you want and then import it on Novelty using menu Import assets-> Bitmap fonts. The result will be on fnt format.
And now you only need to choose it from the Imported folder and wherever you go, whatever comp you use, you won't see any difference. And yes, after you export your vn as app [.exe] they will still looks the same. So no need to tell user to install the fonts that you use on your vn.

I want to attach the example that I use here, but extension fnt isn't allowed, so here is mf link : https://www.mediafire.com/?38ff8q39algl31f <-- it's only 19kb... :lol:
Hope this helps somebody :D
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Return to Support & Development