Novelty game split into episodes?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Novelty game split into episodes?

Postby megami23 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 am

Is it possible to make a game consisting of several episodes?

You download the first episode, then when the second episode is later released, you can download it and it'll be added to the first episode as an extension of sorts, so that the game sort of... ”grows" with each episode you download. Of course, previously saved progress in the game should remain after each new episode is added.

Is it possible to do this with Novelty?

Thank you in advance~
megami23

Re: Novelty game split into episodes?

Postby Avaible » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am

Not yet, though it does sound useful.
Avaible

Postby ErikB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I wonder, because even since I'm implementing the ability to save game-wide variables, the save file is locked to the specific game.
Novelty generates a unique number per game, and the save file only works with a game with the same unique number. Not sure how to solve that for multiple games reading the same save file.

It could be done if I let Novelty write arbitrary files to the file system, but I don't really want to do that.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby megami23 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you both for the prompt replies.

But in that case, I was wondering if it's possible to create something something similar... Say you release each episode as a stand alone game. At the end of each episode you play, the game generates a code for you (eg. "1234") that you can type in in the next episode to "load" the game data from your previous story with all the variables, etc. That is to say, the second episode will have the variables changed to the state they were in at the end of the first episode.

I'm not sure if I'm stretching the concept too far though, it seems quite troublesome to set up that kind of system.
Last edited by megami23 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megami23

Postby ErikB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:41 pm

It worked for Nintendo games. Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for Novelty games.
Just needs some math.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby megami23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh, that's good. The problem is, it's this math part that I'm not too confident about...
Is there anyone who knows how to make it? I'd be eternally grateful for any kind of help!
megami23

Return to Support & Development