Pulling Windows Username?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Pulling Windows Username?

Postby MHaruspex » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking I'll have a 4th wall breaking sequence towards the end of my VN that calls for the player character to mention the player by name. I want this whole part to come as a pretty big shock (meaning not doing any name input earlier on), so would it be possible in any way to pull the Windows username of the account currently logged in? And to simply replace it with some text like "the player" if it's Administrator?

Thanks.
MHaruspex

Re: Pulling Windows Username?

Postby ErikB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

It's not possible to do so now.
I'm not sure if accessing the user credentials requires elevated security rights, which would be bad because then you would get that UEA security popup every time you launch Novelty and/or the game.

Overall I've tried to keep Novelty very close-minded in regards of the rest of the system. I don't want to make it possible to create Novelty-games that does bad things.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby fleet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm

I think modifying Novelty so it could pull the Windows username of the account currently logged in would be a bad thing.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Avaible » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Not to forget that it would sound silly if you were to play the game at the pc of your sister/brother :D
Avaible

Return to Support & Development