Sound Effects Not Carrying

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Sound Effects Not Carrying

Postby Saint Vain » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Me again...

My sound effects (for clicking/hovering over buttons) work perfectly fine inside the designer. But when I play my game as a stand alone, or export it, there are no sounds when I click on buttons or hover over them. What could be causing this? :oops:

My BGMs work fine both inside the designer and in the stand alone, but the clicking sound effects I added do not show up in the stand alone game.
Saint Vain

Re: Sound Effects Not Carrying

Postby Avaible » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:57 am

I remember two times when we had the exact opposit problem - not hearing the sound effects in the Designer but in the stand-alone game and Novelty.

To make sure, do your sound effects work in Novelty? I don't mean inside a stand-alone, but when you play the Novel with Novelty.
Avaible

Postby Saint Vain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Yes, when I play my novel inside Novelty I hear the sound effects, but when I play the stand alone or exported game the sound effects don't play.
Saint Vain

Postby Avaible » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm

There's a chance the sound sources weren't properly added to the project. The Asset library has two tabs, one of them is 'In use' - your sound effects should be in there, too. If they aren't, right click on the sound effects in the 'All assets' tab and manually choose 'Add to project resources'.
Avaible

Postby Saint Vain » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Ahhhh thanks to you I fixed it, thanks so much...but I encountered another problem...if I press too many buttons, all the sound stops. Like if I save my game, then check the log, then hit return, the BGM will stop playing and so will the sound effects. It's like the engine gets overloaded with sounds and just shuts down after so many clicks. :?:
Saint Vain

Postby Avaible » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 am

This should only happen if you play the novel inside Novelty. The stand-alone does not have that problem. However, when I tested that before I could click up to 70 times on a button until the sound cut off, and even taking into account additional sound effects it should last longer than what you described. Well, I suggest you test it with the stand-alone and see if the problem keeps occuring.
Avaible

Postby Saint Vain » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

It continues to be a problem for me, inside novelty as well as a stand alone.

Here's what I found out after tinkering:

Inside Novelty: 20 hovers or 6 clicks on buttons with sound will make the BGM shut off instantly. The sound effects keep playing.

As a Stand Alone: 20+ hovers or 8 clicks on buttons with sound will make the sounds effects shut off instantly. The BGM keeps playing.

A lot 100+ of random hovering in either will cause both the sound effects and BGM to shut off.
Saint Vain

Postby Saint Vain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I continued to look into it and it still is happening.

Maybe it's a bug?
Saint Vain

Postby Avaible » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 am

Well, who knows. I tried but couldn't recreate the problem. Sorry that I can't help you with that. Better post it in the Bug report thread anyway.
Avaible

Postby Berwald » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Computer specs, maybe?
Berwald

Return to Support & Development