[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Branches, Pages, and Logs

Branches, Pages, and Logs

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Branches, Pages, and Logs

Postby Saint Vain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 pm

This is mostly just to self check that my shojo novel is headed in the right direction but I am also a little lost. I would like to know what I'm doing before I start rather than stumbling around wasting time. Please give an explanation of how to achieve what I am looking for as if you are talking to an idiot. I'm sorry to take up your time but I'm very eager to make my novel.

I would like to create a story with multiple paths AND multiple endings, thusly:
Good Path
Evil Path
Neutral Path
Insanity Path

(special)
Comedy Path
Perversion Path

Each path would have two to three endings, except the perversion path. The first chapter would determine what path you would start down, but at any point in time a choice the player makes could cause them to jump to a different path and keep going down that until a choice causes them to switch to another.

My formula for this is done like a girl's personality quiz - if you choose mostly A option, you'll go down this path, if you choose mostly B you'll go down the other, if you choose a combination you will be neutral, if you choose consistently C+D you'll get the last path, etc.

I have a script for my novel, (not script script, story script) understand tags and how to set a choice for "go to tag", I basically understand conditions and branches but have never implemented one and I am not sure how branches are organized(or sadly how to even begin using them). Does each branch effect every chapter, or do branches each have their own corresponding chapter? I really am not sure how to organize the many pages, chapters, branches and endings correctly so that they can switch back and forth between each other without
causing conflict, overlap, bugs, etc. How do you organize your novel's paths and endings?

Up until now I have done an entire chapter on one page, which is probably not the best way to go about it? What is a good point to make a new page at so that I could cut down on clutter?

Finally, what is the Log option? I would like to use it as a player journal, as they go on their adventure, the characters thoughts are recorded in the log like a journal. Is this possible?
Saint Vain

Re: Branches, Pages, and Logs

Postby 8oni » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:25 pm

So many idea, so little time
8oni

Return to Support & Development