[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Having trouble with Stand Alone game

Having trouble with Stand Alone game

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Having trouble with Stand Alone game

Postby theSiege » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Well, I'm not having trouble, but everyone that I got to help me test my test game has. The stand alone game works fine on my desktop computer. All 5 of my testers and my laptop have all gotten the same error message saying that the program is not compatible with their version of windows, even though we're all using Win7 (64bit) on our desktops and it works fine with mine. I have spent all morning reading the Support forums with nothing on this subject.
We've all re-downloaded directx9 and installed, rebooted and still the same error message, so that's not it. We've tried running as an admin, running in different service packs and still my computer is the only one that will play the stand alone. I got the impression that people wouldn't need to download the novelty program to play the games, but the computer with the novelty program on it seems to be the only one that can play the game. Are we doing something wrong? Any input would be helpful.

Error message:
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or an x64 (64bit) version of the program and then check with the program's publisher.
theSiege

Re: Having trouble with Stand Alone game

Postby fleet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 am

Can your laptop or the computers belonging to your testers play any of the novelty VNs that have been uploaded in the EXPO forum here?
If so, then the problem is not with the Novelty software.

Use winzip, winrar, or 7 zip to compress the game and upload it here as an attachment. The others here can check it out, and maybe see what the problem is.

Oh, when you loaded to exe file and associated files onto your laptop, and tried to run the game/VN, a log file should have been created. The contents of that log file would be helpful.

I doubt that I can diagnose the problem or provide a solution, since I use a 32 bit system, but by following above suggestions, the gurus here should be able to provide some real help. .
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby theSiege » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Heard back from one of my testers and the game we downloaded from the EXPO worked. Neither one of us could find a log file though to give us further information on why my export won't start up.

The file was too big to add as an attachment, so I uploaded it onto my own server: (deleted) I'll delete it from there when this issue is resolved.
Last edited by theSiege on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
theSiege

Postby Avaible » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am

I downloaded the file but the archive doesn't work properly. Maybe the file itself is damaged somehow.

Anyway, when exporting your project as a stand-alone three files should be created: the exe, the dll, the nvz.
Except the case that you checked the option Compile Content in the export manager. In that case only the exe and dll would be created.

Now, in case you didn't check that compile content option this would mean that there are still two files you didn't put into the download: the dll and the nvz.
And if you did check that option we're still missing the dll (aside from the fact that the archieve in the link somehow doesn't work properly).
Avaible

Postby fleet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am

Here's a step by step procedure for exporting your game as a standalone.
1. Create a new folder somewhere easy for you to find on your hard drive. Give it a name that you can remember, such as fatedgame..
2. Open your visual novel.
3. Click on the word “File” on the command line (top of your screen)
4. In the drop down menu click on the word “Export”
5. A side menu will appear. Click on “Stand alone game”.
6.A new window will appear that says “Export as stand-alone”.
7.In that window you should see two tabs near the top, one says Export, the other says Options.
8. Click on the “Options” tab.
9. You should see two check boxes, one says Compile contents, the other says Copy video files. Place a check mark in each box.
10. Click on the “Export” tab (to the left of the “Options” tab).
11. Click on the button that says “Change”.
12. This opens a window named “Set stand alone file name”
13. Navigate to the folder you created in Step 1.
14. Key in a name for your visual novel, such as ‘fated’. The “save as type” should be “Novelty executable (exe)”. Do not change it.
15. Click on the “Save” button. This closes the “Set stand alone file name” window.
16. In the “Export as stand-alone” window, click on the “Export” button (it’s at the bottom of the window).
17. You should get a pop up window that says “Export completed” It will have “Yes” and “No” buttons in it. If you want to play the game, click “Yes”, otherwise click “No”.
18. Assuming you clicked “No” you’ll return to the “Export as stand-alone” window. Click the “close” button.
19. Close Novelty and navigate to the folder that you created in Step 1. You should see two files in that folder, a file with the name that you typed in in step 14, and a file named fmodex. Select both of those files, and use your favorite file compression program to zip them into one file.. Upload the zipped file to Lemmasoft forums..

Good luck!
fleet
fleet

Postby Avaible » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:48 am

That's elaborate.
For large games I recommend unchecking the Compile Content box because not doing so will add to the memory strain of the player's computer.
Avaible

Postby theSiege » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 am

My tester is now saying it's working with the new export. Thank you so much for all your help everyone. :D
theSiege

Postby Avaible » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 am

Great it works! :)
Avaible

Postby fleet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 pm

fleet

Return to Support & Development