[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Remember That Swanky Textbox From the Demo?

Remember That Swanky Textbox From the Demo?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Remember That Swanky Textbox From the Demo?

Postby kumada » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 am

You know the one. It's purple and fades in before the dialog starts?

Yeah, I'm trying to re-create that in my own project, but I'm having a heck of a time of it. I know I can just copy-paste it over, but I don't want it to be purple--and besides, I really want to know how to make it.

I've been up and down the help index, and I'm conferring with another member of the community by PM, but I'm still stuck. This is my first time working with anything even slightly program-y, so any help at all would be very welcome. If you know how to build a textbox like the one in the demo and you can walk me through the process, I'll happily help out with your project in return. I've been doing editing (prose and poetry) in my spare time for the last ten years, so I can proof a script like nobody's business.
kumada

Re: Remember That Swanky Textbox From the Demo?

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 pm

You mean how to create the graphics? That's done outside Novelty in programms like Photoshop, Sai, Gimp, whatever works for you.

If you simply want to change the colour of the text-box, you can do so inside Novelty in the property inspector of the box.

Or do you only need to know how to make a text-box a text-box in Novelty with all the graphics already available?
Avaible

Postby kumada » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:22 pm

To clarify, I can put together an object that looks like a textbox with the designer. I can import it and place it in a scene. Unfortunately, once it's inside a scene, it just sits there like a lump. Text will display over it, but what I really want is for it to start out with zero opacity, and then let me tell it when to fade in or out with actions.

The demo comes with a canvas called "Box." Ideally, this is exactly what I'm trying to create. I just want to do it from the ground up, instead of copy-pasting it over.
kumada

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Regarding opacity: In the property inspector of your object you'll find a bar with which you can regulate the default transparancy. Set it to zero. Alternatively, ignore the bar and just uncheck the 'Visible' marker a few lines below.
You can then use the 'Fade object' action of the action catalog to get the effect the tutorial used. For that set 'Fade' to 'In' and select the speed (in seconds).
Avaible

Postby kumada » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 am

Fffffffffffffff~

Thank you.

I knew I must've been missing something simple.

I've run into another problem, though. When I import my textbox into Novelty, it tells me "no handler found for image type." I've imported textboxes successfully before, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is now.

For reference, I'm just modifying the colors on sample text border.nml, saving it, and then trying to import it as an image. Am I doing something wrong? The error message comes when I try to open it after importing it, or when trying to import it if I'm using the wizard.

edit: also, when imported, it's going to /textures/imported instead of /objects.
kumada

Postby Avaible » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Avaible

Return to Support & Development