[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Suggestion: Achievements

Suggestion: Achievements

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

What do you think about this idea?

AWESOME! LET'S DO IT!
50%
Sounds good.
50%
I don't think this is going to work...
No votes

Total votes : 6

Suggestion: Achievements

Postby Minikomicweb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

Hello, people:

First of all, to these people who doesn't know what an achievement is in the videogames world, go to this link:

This is my first suggestion on the forum, so I hope I'm doing it right.

I think it would be a good idea to add a feature about achievements, because like this, users who are playing the visual novel can repeat it more times and find the secrets and stuff... Imagine. :)

To see how many possibilities we have in creating these achievements, I've got some examples, since easy ones, to the hardest ones:

-Get the happy ending.
-Go to <name>'s route.
-Keep all your characters alive and fail with all of them.
-Finish the novel without making "X" decision.

So, what do you think?
Minikomicweb

Re: Suggestion: Achievements

Postby Avaible » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 pm

This fully depends on the visual novel you're making, I think. If there's some kind of gameplay included, sure, there will be ways to include these achievments, if there is none, well there could still be some things hidden somewhere. The main issue is probably not how to include these achievments but how to make the player want to achieve them in the first place. This could be done by giving access to extra CGs, fanart of the game, extra music or simply background knowledge about the in-story universe/plot.
Generally, I wouldn't worry about achievments until I know for sure that I can finish the project and still have enough steam to provide additional content for the player once they achieve something.
That's it from the game-makers point of view.

From personal experience: I'm happy about all the bonus content I can get if I like a game, and it's fun to learn more about the told story/characters in such a way, but I dislike one of the most common achievments which is 'complete all paths to gain the bonus' because I'm not going to force my way through a path I'm not interested in. I like the little ones more, like 'figure out the secret answer which is only ever hinted at in the story' or 'get x points in this mission/mini-game' or 'raise the stats of the girls/boys in a way to create a harem/reverse harem'. You know, things that come naturally with the flow of the story but don't exactly force you to do anything you wouldn't have wanted to otherwise.
Avaible

Postby Momiji » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Well im glad this said a bit more than i thought, Achievements in the gaming world to me means them things they have on xbox... god i hate that, i think the system is great but so many games was ruined because they just said 'do this' 'do that' and get gamerscore... then people would rather compete for uping the number than playing for a laugh... then again i dont like gaming much (outside visual novels) so i suppose thats me
anyways glad you didnt say implement gamer score ;)

Basically your idea sounds like a log book to me in which you tick the enteries of one by one...
take below, a simple image of a incomplete CG gallery in a game (yes start ein no aselia recently plays well here :P):
notice its of course incomplete... but how doi know? well them blank windows tell me instantly ;) but the courner... notice 36% completion, that tells me i have about a third of the CG's for Lesteena, so it tells me i got more for Lesteena to do (be supprised if i didnt lol)
Anyways point is i know i have more to do so its practically a given, though it doesnt directly tell me i might need to have her hate me or love me for a CG it doesnt change i know theres something to do but now lets change it up for a better example.

This is a more effceient one.
Notice here it tells me what i done?
i can see i have beaten all the endings...
i can see somewhere in the game im missing a single scene
i can see i still have little over 50 paths i havent taken
and i can see i got all the screen savers...
(and weirdly enough i can see im 112%/114% done... might aswell be 98% lol)

anyways thats my overview i know what i done but it dont show me what im missing then, but it does, i move to page 2:

Here i can see im not missing a ending, honestly for my example i wish i was but say on this list, if assuming i didnt have 'Sara bad ending' i can instantly guess what it is after playing for a little while, by guessing looking at my unlocks i can be 80% certain her missing one is a 'bad ending' due to other characters all featuring a bad ending aswell.

Now remember the missing scene? righty so heres some random point in my scene log:

all are fine and done, but now look at the missing scene:
u ccan tell instantly its missing hense the '????'
this tells me something most likly i missed something between the last event and the first event
fortunatly it was placed effeciently...
(i actually now know where the scene is xD) but basically i can guess its in two places:
note the 2 surrounding it:
'Kid/Sara Future' <- i know this is the very very end of Sara's story, infact its her epilouge, so realisticly chances of it being in her epolouge after reciving one there is extreemely low, probberly less than 10% if not less than 5.
so i look at point 2:
'Coco Who am i, who are you?' <- this tells me its before here, well i know this is the start of the very game so i instantly know theres a good 80% chance it happens around here

Now this doesnt feel like it realtes alot right? maybe it doesnt, what im trying to show is a normal CG gallery offers you knowledge you havent done something, im one who loves exploring what that something is, i would upload my cg from Metero downhill type R for proof that on there i have done all main stories but missing a few cg's and havent a clue how to get em but i like exploring, but as said some might like it to tell them so your system works if maybe when i hover over a blank frame it says:
'unlock kyouko good end to get this' or i just have a screen like the log in the examples but instead blocking the title saying say 'Sora good ending' it might say 'Sora bad ending beat' and have something like 'beat sora good ending to unlock this Achievement' or whatever
basically what im saying is your idea is great for some, some would priase it well, i myself enjoy finding whats missing alone, so though i might know i have Cg's for Aselia i might be missing one which i dont know what it is, this is where your system works for some, but for me i rather play Aselia till i find it, if i dont find it i know its gotten via someone else, its a longer process but i find it more enjoyable as you get the full most gameplay.
But what im saying it you could do your system quite well on middle ground as a log book as i put with the examples, they could either tell you how to get the missing scene or they could just leave it to your own logic and my exmaple does.
this is of course my view, your idea is a validly decent one though ^^

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby Minikomicweb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Minikomicweb

Postby Momiji » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby Minikomicweb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Minikomicweb

Postby Momiji » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 pm

haha i think the flow chart is a thing you need :D its a good method to work with as far as everything in branching is concerned anyways :P

ah well if its a daily thing thats good, alot (including myself) dont work on a daily basis you i suppose our progress is slowed, its good to be able to work constently as you will see results better :D
Hm suppose its a shame i dont know spanish, ohwell as you said add some chapters and expo it at the least i can check it out for a few minors like stabability and such

Image -----Image
Momiji

Return to Support & Development