[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Quick question about exporting a stand-alone game?

Quick question about exporting a stand-alone game?

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Quick question about exporting a stand-alone game?

Postby maddiemedusa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:50 pm

I have yet to finish my visual novel, but it recently occurred to me that I never exported a stand alone game yet from Novelty so I have a question.

Lets say I put my game on a site where people can download it (such as megaupload or something) will they need a copy of Novelty to play the game? Or can they just download the game files and play it on their computer without any additional software?

This question as been nagging at my brain because something keeps telling me that they would have to download Novelty software in order to play the game, but of course these are just assumptions. Thanks in advance.
maddiemedusa

Re: Quick question about exporting a stand-alone game?

Postby skim » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 am

Players of your uploaded game will not need to download their own copy of Novelty to play your game.
To create a stand-alone game, go to file --> export --> create stand alone game, and then follow the directions on the screen.

With this, Novelty will create a stand alone game for you. Zip up the files it made into the compression method of your choice, and then upload away to share.

Most times, since Novelty is dependent on directX to function, the stand alone game will ask for a "d3dx9_37.dll"
which due to software copyright, it cannot be distributed (shared by) by anyone but microsoft and places that have microsoft's permission. (as far as I know)

skim

Re: Quick question about exporting a stand-alone game?

Postby maddiemedusa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks skim, you answered my question perfectly. I suppose I kept assuming players would have to download the Novelty software because another game maker I have requires players to download the game making software (which I find silly ha) but I'm glad I have my answer now. Thanks again. :)
maddiemedusa

Return to Support & Development