[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - novelty capability questions

novelty capability questions

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

novelty capability questions

Postby cidthekitty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:56 am

So i have a few questions regarding some things novelty can do.

can novelty have an options menu for the player? like to control the volume, music volume, screen size, etc...
and can novelty make it so that there is a route that appears after someone plays everyone elses route?
oh and can i change the font size and make it bold, italic, etc...

and if so how do i do these things? (and sorry if this was answered already >_> i didnt see any threads on it)

current progress: Chris is finished. Currently working on Mason, Kitsu, Megan, and Jeremy's route. Chris and MC sprites are finished.
cidthekitty

Re: novelty capability questions

Postby fleet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 am

Hi. I'm not sure about the other stuff, but you can change the font size, make it bold, and italic.
After you create the text object, Go to the property inspector box for the text object. Scroll down in the Property Inspector box until you see the 'font' section. You can make the changes there.
See screen shot

untitled.JPG
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby cidthekitty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 am

oh cool yay! thanks <3

current progress: Chris is finished. Currently working on Mason, Kitsu, Megan, and Jeremy's route. Chris and MC sprites are finished.
cidthekitty

Postby Avaible » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Avaible

Postby cidthekitty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 am

thanks for answering my question ~ it seems it can pretty much do all i want except the making a route appear after the other ones which is something i really want to do soooo i might have to use renpy for my big project but ill still use novelty for my other projects i like it and am way more familar with it anyways lol.

cidthekitty

Postby skim » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:50 pm

skim

Postby Avaible » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Avaible

Postby skim » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Then, I guess one could work around the variables being reset by forcing the game to "load" a saved state in the beginning if the game was already played once.
Maybe it could be something like:
if a saved state of [something] exists, load [second part of the game]..

or actually, maybe that's the whole problem in the first place: that the game can't tell if it was run before or not.
skim

Postby Avaible » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Ehe, well, you're free to try I guess. Personally I prefer to wait for a new version of Novelty to hopefully solve this, but if you actually manage to pull this off you will make a lot of people very happy who've been waiting for it.

That aside, to evaluate on your idea a litte with my own thoughts added:
To take your approach, I would, as a coder, first have to know which saved state means what. Or, to be more precise, I would have to know which save state has to be ... saved, for it to be the one that means you have already finished the game once.
Luckily, Novelty would actually allow you to do that, as we have 101 slots for saved games. 0 to 100, 0 being auto-save. So, let's say I don't want to touch the 0 (obviously) and maybe the first 30 slots, so that the player has enough capacity to save his own progress as he wants. This would leave 31 to 100 for me to play with.
So, I put an script-action at the end of the first path that says, the game will be saved in ... slot 31. Good, now I know, per definition, that that slot is only put to use if the player has already played through the game once - as neither the player nor other scripts will use that slot. That's the condition.
The same could be done with further paths, using slot 32, 33 and so on.
Now, you would need a script that runs once as soon as the game is started, which determines wether there is a used saved state in slot 31 (32 ...), and then, using those results, sets the respective variables to their respective new non-default values.

... wow, this could actually work ... didn't see it sooner ... why?
Anyways, there are still a few issues with this method, first being the implementation of it. I don't know out of my memories wether it is possible to test the slots as we want to, so this is a technical issue. I will look into it tomorrow, though, since this looks really interesting.
The second issue is a simple logical one: You only have 31 to 100 slots to use. This might not be a problem when all you want are some certain save points like first path, second path etc. but imagine you need more of those points for certain scenes in the story which influence global variables, like CGs. Basically, you would need to use a new save slot for each single CG, as you have to think that a player will not necessarily play through the whole path in one go. That also means the maximum number of those things is limited to 70 save slots.
Normal games? No problem. But big games? Could be too few.

That aside, it could work for most games, especially when they don't use many global variables that musn't be reset when the game exits.
If this sounds like a load of incomprehensible rambling, that's my fault. But believe, in my head this makes sense.

Good idea, skim.
Avaible

Postby Corynth » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 pm

"If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men"- Edward Morrison, Tales of Phantasia(GBA version)
Corynth

Postby Avaible » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Well, just put a warning out for the player to not to touch those save-files. I think it's the most effecient way to just inform them that those saves are used by the game to save their progress, and if they don't want to loose that progress they better not touch those files. It's the same with all computer games as there always is a way to mess with the save-data.

Btw, you could have told us that you already found a way around the problem! Then we wouldn't have had to wait for slow me to do it. :D
Avaible

Postby fleet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:08 am

fleet

Postby Avaible » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:44 am

Sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find that attribute. Would you mind showing me?
Avaible

Postby Corynth » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 pm

"If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men"- Edward Morrison, Tales of Phantasia(GBA version)
Corynth

Postby fleet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Attachments
untitled.JPG
fleet

Next

Return to Support & Development