[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Problem with Uploading Bitmap Fonts

Problem with Uploading Bitmap Fonts

Have any technical questions or suggestions? Post them here.

Problem with Uploading Bitmap Fonts

Postby drproxima » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:42 pm

First, I'd like to say "Hooray for Novelty!" because I'm one of those people that can do a lot of the things that are required for a visual novel; writing, artwork, music, fonts, etc...but when it comes down to programming things I'm slow to study, forgetful, utterly ditzy, and typo-prone so it's nice to have a less technical more amateur-friendly way to go about it and I really look forward to making something great with this! <3

Here's my problem:

In my free time during the past two days I've made five or six different bitmap fonts with this fun little thing-
http://www.pentacom.jp/soft/ex/font/edit.html
and seeing as I'm attempting to make a VN with the highest percentage of my own custom material I thought it might be nice if I could use some of them in Novelty ^_^

The fonts save as .ttf format

I used the provided bitmap font generator to convert the files to .fnt making sure to change to the following settings:

Charset: Unicode
Size: 32
Bit depth: 32
Font descriptor: XML

but any time I try to import them into Novelty after that an error pops up saying "unable to load font"

I read all that I could find in the documentation on converting and uploading new fonts but I've never tried to add new fonts to Novelty yet so I'm not even sure I'm doing things properly in the first place...

Can these fonts be used in Novelty? Am I leaving out vital steps?

If there is a way to use the fonts and I'm missing it somehow or I'm just not doing it right please explain the process in as much detail as possible <3

Thank you~! ^-^
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."
drproxima

Re: Problem with Uploading Bitmap Fonts

Postby Avaible » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I tried using a regular font that's already on my computer, and I could save it as fnt and import it into Novelty without problems.
I can only tell you which settings I used:
Unicode
Width: 512x512
Bit depth: 32
XML
Textures: Png - Portable Network Graphic
Compression: Deflate

Not my field of expertise, so sorry that I can't help you better.

Edit: I almost forgot, but welcome onboard! :mrgreen: Glad that you like Novelty.
Avaible

Postby drproxima » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 am

Thanks for the welcome ^_^ I have a feeling these forums are going to prove a useful asset for when I have problems like this.
Hmmm...I tried using these settings and it still gave me the same error message...What file type was the font that you used? .ttf .fon other?
drproxima

Postby drproxima » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 am

Here's a sample of a few of my fonts ^_^
drproxima

Postby Moonya » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 am

I realy love some of these fonts. especially the first one. I really can imagine what kinda game you should make with that one :D
Moonya

Postby drproxima » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 am

I have a few that are even better than these :3 I've even made a few sets of symbol fonts. The hearts, wings, and first aid symbols on the banners in my signature were made using the same font generator. If only I could figure out what the problem is so that I can get them to work in novelty ^__^"
drproxima

Postby drproxima » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm

:( .....anybody?
drproxima

Postby Avaible » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Avaible

Postby drproxima » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:41 am

Options --> Font Settings--> Select the font from the "Face" dropdown menu That's how I did it, I think that's the way you're supposed to do it...but like I said I've never used BM Font before and I'm new to Novelty in general
drproxima

Postby Avaible » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:15 pm

The BM has no actual relation to Novelty, other than that we can use it for making fonts Novelty (and many many other programms) can use.

Thanks, I'll try it today and tell you what I find out.
Avaible

Postby Avaible » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

So, I used the Sample font you get at pentacom with a mouse click, saved it as TrueType and Installed it to my computer fonts. When I opened it with BMFont generator I used the same settings as before which are given in the help-files, and successfully saved it as fnt. From there I went into Novelty, clicked on Import Bmfont, loaded said font, and imported it without problems. I can use it now.

So, I didn't stumble upon whatever it is that gives you your error message, sorry for that. Later I'll try the same with a TrueType font where I make the characters myself instead of the sample one, and test out wether I get the same results.
Avaible

Postby drproxima » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks for taking the time to try to figure this out ^_^ If I can get it to work I would happily make a couple of fonts to share with everyone on the forums
drproxima

Postby Avaible » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Sorry, completely forgot to post after that. Well, results, I made my own custom font, and it still worked.
I put the TrueType file in the attachment, so try it yourself if you want. Just unpack the rar, install the font and convert it with the BMFont generator.

The only symbols I changed were ! $ % & # from the standart font.
Attachments
beispiel.rar
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Avaible

Postby EriksBlue » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 am

I tired to add my new font but this happens.

These are the two files i am using.

Edit: I went looking and found my answer here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=654&p=3556&hilit=importing+font#p3556
Attachments
10-20-2011 12-50-51 AM.png
Upload Error
Font.rar
(8.3 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by EriksBlue on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EriksBlue

Postby Avaible » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 am

I can't download your files, Blue, it says there was an upload error.
Avaible

Return to Support & Development