[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Side Image?

Side Image?

Ask questions on content creation or share your own custom content.

Side Image?

Postby Silvara4ever » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to these forums - and to the world of making visual novels, for that matter. After banging my head against the wall repeatedly trying to come up with a magical formula to create a VN with RPG elements with other engines, I've fortunately discovered this little marvel called Novelty... Thank you for creating this program. Seriously.

Anyway, my question is kind of silly, and it's probably been asked already, but I couldn't find it in the forum after many searches. If the thread does exist, I'd be grateful if someone could redirect me there.

I would like to know if there is an automated way of creating a side image to the dialogue box every time a particular character talks. I've tried doing it manually, but there are some bugs and it doesn't look good (like, a 'shadow' of the dialogue box remains in place and covers the character's face). Plus, doing that every time the character talks is going to be exhausting (and it's not even the 'chatty' type, lol).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Silvara4ever

Re: Side Image?

Postby 8oni » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Delete my prev answer so I can make a better answer.
The side image that OP asking is called portrait. And I know there is already a lot thread about it, but there isn't one who tell exactly how to make it [I search and there is none, but maybe I was wrong... anyway back to topic] so I just want to tell my own way to made portrait. Like I say this is my [lazy] way so this is not the best.
First, a portrait is a mini-image of the actor that may/not may show up on scene. So it goes without saying that the actor and their portrait have the same state.
So before you make a portrait it's better if you make the actor first. Make the state etc and save them on *nml format.
Let say I already have actor named Tokudaya_Tatie_14 on nml format.
Now I want to make a portrait out of them. So what do I do?
First, copy the Image Set from actor that you want to make portrait ---in this example is Tokudaya_Tatie_14. Then make the new Image Set, right click and choose Paste->Paste as new object. You should have the duplicate of the Image Set that you copy.
Second, change the name of the Image Set. [this is important or your Designer will crash <--- learn via hard way :lol: ] You can add 'Portrait' on it or whatever suits your taste. Then right click and choose Add trait-> Character portrait. Right click again and choose Set attribute -> Filter and on Filter option type Portraits.
And that's it. Save on Asset folder, open Novelty and on Portraits folder you will see the new portrait that you just make :mrgreen:
Now here comes the lazy part. The sample on Tsuina and Katboya have 'mask' on it but as you can see I don't mask them. So when you want to use them, they are on scale 1:1. But don't worry, you can change it. Try put the portrait that you just make on scene and move your cursor on the bottom horizontal line, your cursor will change shape, drag it above and voila, you got yourself a nice portrait. Just resize it then, position it on wherever you want on scene. On Property Inspector choose the Actor from [Trait] Portrait and the portrait will change their state according to their actor.
Extra :
Portrait is different than actor, if you want to use Actor you put them on Cast manager but if you want to use Portrait you put them on Scene on Global layer and you hide them. This way you can put as much portrait that you want on same location and they will only show the responding actor. [I don't hide the portrait on the picture above because if I hide it then it won't show up then :lol: ]
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Postby 8oni » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Someone asking me why they can't make a portrait following my step. And I found that if you right click and add Trait->Character Portrait straight away it can lead to crash on Novelty.
So here is the 2nd way that I have tried that didn't crash.
After you copy-paste as a new object, right click and choose Add child->Traits.
Then right click on that Trait and choose Add child->Character Portrait.

And there you have it, same trait but different way.

Hope this helps :)
8oni

Postby 8oni » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22 am

I make a video about using and making portrait in Novelty for people who want to learn using visual way :)

8oni

Postby fleet » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Neat!
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Return to Content Creation