[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Tutorials

Tutorials

Discussions about Novelty, visual novels and other worldly things.

Re: Tutorials

Postby ErikB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I've updated the to include some of the user-made ones. Not all of them, but a few.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Avaible » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 pm

That's nice.
Avaible

Postby Avaible » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 pm

, this time on Animating in the Designer. I advise to actually watch it while you're making an Animation for the first few times, because it's pretty much meaningless if you can't see what I'm talking about in the video.

On that note, I've been asked how to make effects in Novelty and that made me think about it some more. While there are a few pixel shaders I don't think that those are what was meant and honestly, I'm imagining something different when hearing effects.
For those of you who've played Fate/Stay Night or similiar, they often use those slash effects and stuff, right? Or in other VNs, backgrounds that are slightly animated, simple-looking for when a background of a scene would be inappropriate (e-g, the narrator talking about the history, or prelude, or inside a dream, etc.) Then there's effects like inverting all colours in the scene for shock-moments and such.
Well, you probably get what I mean by now, so here's what I want:
Could we collect all effects (like those I named), maybe with example of where similiar effects are used? I mean, anyone of you who has an idea of what I'm talking about, won't you maybe help me by writing those effects down here and posting a picture with them or describe them?
If you help me with that I'll try figuring out how those things could be neatly fitted into the action-window in Novelty. Who knows, maybe someone will find that useful at some point, and I think it might be interesting to deconstruct how those effects work.
Avaible

Postby skim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

oh yeah, I've been meaning to make more tutorials but I keep forgetting.
It's good to see them all on one page!
skim

Postby Avaible » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:22 am

I finally recovered part of the data from my old computer.

In other words: 5 new tutorials, all about the Designer. More to come once I have time, the programs needed and enough willpower :mrgreen:
You'll find them on my .

If you have any suggestions, questions, see any contentual mistakes just post them here.
Avaible

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Didnt know there were some videos, im definitely checking it out.

I for instance dont know too much the program im sticking with basic things and even that is hard for me (Not english speaking native doesnt help)

At least Novelty is much better than renpy.
kratoscar2008

Postby skim » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 pm

What kinds of new videos do users want to see?

I often receive a request for a video on:
How to create an actor. (or how to convert a PNG or GIF into novelty)

I'm also thinking about a video about:

"My first Novelty game"
It could cover planning (thinking in terms of objects from story), setting the stage (dialogue box, dialogue name),
displaying dialogue and character name, one menu, one label, one user-input value, one variable.

"How to create a custom dialogue box"

"How to create a custom menu"
skim

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 pm

kratoscar2008

Postby Avaible » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 pm

@kratoscar2008
You can choose the text's colour in the property inspector of the text object you're using.
Videos are displayed in video objects, and you can put them those behind your text, so yes, theoretically possible although I haven't tried that yet.

@skim
I've thought about that before as well, a video on how to start, continue and follow through with a game. The custom dialogue box/menu are important as well, as many people just don't seem to get how objects can work together, no matter how you explain it. And then there're alot of people who seem to think the graphics needed just magically appear if you use Novelty ... which is the point I usually want to give up on explaining.
Avaible

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 pm

kratoscar2008

Postby fleet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 pm

"A video explaining the Novelty asset creator would be nice too, i want to run videos in my VN while displaying dialogues, can i do that?"

Yes, I've done it many times.

As to adding a movie, just create a video object on the page that you want the movie.
On the blank page, right mouse click once to see a small window. In that small window click on Create new Object, this opens a mini-menu, clcik on Video Object.
To insert a movie into the video object, in the Action catalog, scroll down until you see Play Video. Double click on it.
I've had good results using movies in wmv format.
Playing movies and exporting your visual novel seem to work best if you have the movie saved to Novelty's Asset folder.

Here's what your action window should resemble.

playing.JPG

To have dialog on top of your video, just right click on the video and in the pop up menu, click on send to bottom.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby kratoscar2008 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 am

kratoscar2008

Postby Avaible » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Avaible

Postby kratoscar2008 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm

kratoscar2008

Postby Avaible » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:06 am

Who knows, everything always works fine for me. Maybe you didn't save the files in the Novelty asset folder.

Anyway, if you got further questions, please start a new thread for them or post them in an appropriate existing one, as this one is about tutorials in generell and not a simple case to case basis.
Avaible

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion