[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Tutorials

Tutorials

Discussions about Novelty, visual novels and other worldly things.

Tutorials

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Hello everyone,

as you read just now, this topic is all about tutorials. In fact, it's mainly about video-tutorials. And that we need some more.

Why?

Well, seeing the lack of them ... it's kinda obvious.
Now, if you aren't convinced yet;

Our Novelty-Forum has got a number of currently 439 users, but if we take a look at the total number of posts: 3572
->> if we exclude the ~950 posts by Erik that's about six posts per user; that can't be nearly enough for a forum that is supposed to be a meeting place of so many, don't you think?

Which could be the reasons for that?
Most users create an account, ask one question or two and then sink into the depths of oblivion.
That's surely not desireable, as we all want this community to live.

The point being is, if we make the programm Novelty itself more attractive and easy to start with/use, then there should be far more people willing to talk about what they're doing with their work. That would eventually also increase the number of users who would be willing to pay for NoveltyPro and/or donate to support the development of Novelty, which is in the interest of all of us. Otherwise, you wouldn't be reading this, right;)
That way, we help new users to start, old users to go on, all of us in the forum 'cause of the increased support, and Erik who runs the whole thing here for us.

You should all be agreeing to this degree. Now, how is it possible to reach that wonderful goal in mind?
I'm sure most of us who haven't given up on Novelty after the first few hurdles will still remember a time where they thought: 'Heck, why aren't there any easy to understand tutorials!? This programm looks so simple but it's so complex and interesting that I don't even have the slightest idea where to start.'
Well, not exactly those lines but something alongside them.

That's why here's my proposal.
Erik said, he would love to offer more help for beginners and advanced users, but anyone who created a tutorial of any kind before knows how time-expensive that can be.
So, to decrease Eriks things-to-do-list and to help the forum taking a new step closer to it's purpose (self-supporting, user helping user, not Administrator answering every question) we, the users, should make those tutorials.
I'm aware that everyone of you surely has other things to do, though, but if everyone takes his/her time to make only one video (which is easier than making five or ten) we shall be able to do this.

Kay, now for all who skipped the part with the writing:

- active users of Novelty (and everyone who wants to) should support Novelty by creating a tutorial (preferred video) covering one aspect of the many functions/actions
- if you do it, you will help new users, old users, beginners, advancers, me, Erik, yourself and (I'm sure of it) a great deal of aliens of whose existence you don't even know yet
- if you do it, everyone will want to thank you and some kind of shining light will always be behind you/watch over you
- if you do it, you show that Novelty is important to you and you want to see it grow until English visual novels dominate the Japanese ones

I made a quick list of things that should be thematized in those videos:

- How to get Novetly and install it (I know a guy who couldn't even do that without me telling him, so it's likely that there are more of his sort out there)
- Novelty! Looks great! But what is a chapter anyways? And these funny looking things in the buttom right corner? Introduction to Novelty's interface (including the assets that come with it)
- Dialogue is great! But who's talking? Introduction to NoveltyML-Designer and how to import the files into Novelty
- Dialogue Part II, creating an Actor in Novelty, naming him, letting him speak and whatever comes to mind
- Branch - wth? Brunch? How to use them (including Labels maybe)
- Go to page ... eto? How to create a new page, what a chapter is and why are there buttons like Screens and Scene?
- Object! And so many of them! So, why? Introduction on objects
- Object II, examples (like, how to create and use a button, what are borders, how can I make my own menu?)
- Auto-read is the greatest invention since there are novels, but how do I do this? (Skip maybe, too)

You see, there's a lot of questions a new user wants to get answered (even I don't know all of them, since I'm more into scripts than the actual visual interface).
And those are just the ones I thought of on the spot, there ought to be many many more.

Clearly, it will take some time to get all those videos (there will also be test-watchers before it's made public, just to ensure we don't have the same thing more than one time) but it will be worth it.

And now, thanks for all of you who took a part of your limited time to accompany me to this point, this is the end of the post.
Feel free to tell us (the community) your ideas and opinions of this little project, not to forget everything I forgot to mention.
Ah, and if you wonder how to make a video (http://www.youtube.com/user/SvartNott?f ... zbrj9syPBY), I reactivated my Youtube-acc only for this. The programm is called CamStudio (free).

Avaible

Edit:
Since I was asked to do this ...
Updates on the Tutorials come here starting now!

- Tutorial on how to make choices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMdICOwagU

- Tutorial on how to let the player choose his own character name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRg9L_3RZiE

- Tutorial on how to create Buttons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbLzmZEC1s4 (by me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uaJO7cmXk (by darkcore - thanks)

- Tutorial on how to use the Object-Actions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK3Ampq-XRk

- Tutorial on how to download and install Novelty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAd_j_FUHMU

- Tutorial on how to use a screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bYCOFNxi8

- Tutorial on how to change the transition rate of changing character stats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKucB0RlIg
Last edited by Avaible on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Avaible

Re: Tutorials

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I did the first vid of my list, just as an example so that you can imagine what I'm talking about.

Surely, it's not perfect yet and I forgot to mention a few thing I believe, and the music isn't my own so there's the danger that sometime the video may get kicked by youtube.
But that's also what I meant with test-viewers. You tell me what is wrong with the video or what should be pointed out more clearly and I will try to change those things.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAd_j_FUHMU

My channel again, since I don't have any other place where to put it.
At the same time that's also my offer, you can send me your tutorials, I upload them on my channel and then everyone can give his opinion about it here or over there until it is perfect.
Don't have anything better to do with my account over there anyways.

Well then, don't hesitate to post anything to do with this thread.
Avaible

Postby Graciex » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:53 pm

I think this is a great idea. I'm not an experienced user of Novelty, but once I've finished a story I will think about doing a tutorial.

How many experienced users are there, though? I got the idea that this community is very small, and I haven't seen any finished games. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
Graciex

Postby skim » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 am

Hmm.. yeah. As much as tutorials sounds like a good idea, I'm not confident that i know novelty well enough to create a tutorial about it. But once I create a game i think I'll have the confidence to create a tutorial.
skim

Postby Avaible » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Ah, don't worry about the small things, I haven't finished one either;)

Of course, I understand your point, but on the other hand, Erik is probably the only one right now who knows everything one can do with Novelty. That's also why there should be some tutorials, and I'm not necessarily talking about x-minute-long vids. It's enough to show one little part of Novelty each time, right?

My example-vid is a bit longer just because it was an introduction. I will probably make another one today or tomorrow, one that won't even be a minute. Well, maybe a minute cause I have to give the viewer enough time to read the text.

Anyways, great that you support the idea itself, would've been a bit lonely had nobody answered.
Avaible

Postby Avaible » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:45 pm

New example-video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRg9L_3RZiE

Okay, it's a bit longer than a minute. But it only shows one little trick!

Regardless, enjoy.
Avaible

Postby Avaible » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm

New video,

Actually, it's not a tutorial in itself but just a little demonstration that an object is changeable, not just a picture.

Aso, any new videos I may do from here onwards will simply get an edit in one of my previous posts in this topic because it doesn't look as nice if I'm always answering myself here. Exception is if anyone else has the last post in the topic, then I will just answer regulary.
Reason why I made a new post this last time is, that I wanted to ask you all to post here what you think of the videos so far. Seemingly it still will be a bit until others have the time and/or self-confidence to make tutorials, but that doesn't hinder us from making what we have better, does it?

Ah, and I don't mean comments like 'I hate it, it's horrible' but more like 'This and that could be done better' or 'It's absolutely perfect and without doubt beyond anyones understanding!'
Just joking, I mean, please write down too for what reason you may or may not think it's good or bad. This is the important part to improve things.

Thanks in advance.

First edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMdICOwagU
About choices in the novel.
Second edit:
renewed object actions vid
Last edited by Avaible on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avaible

Postby darkcore09 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:33 am

I just saw the tutorial on Object Actions, it's nice you can explain many functions in just one video, but you could go a bit slower.
You can explain the actions in order, one by one, I think it would be easier to understand that way, and the end was really quick.
It was easier to understand the second video, the one about the choices (I was totally confusing the labels with the layers! >_<), and kind of funny =)
I'd like to try to make a tutorial too, I just haven't decided about what of the few thinks I already know to talk about x)
darkcore09

Postby Avaible » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:11 am

As for the object action one I think so, too. Well, it wasn't intended as a tutorial in the first place, but yeah, I should make it again, not as rushed.

And if you're not sure what to do in your own video, just test out something simple - to see how things go. Maybe presenting the 'Transform actions'.

Glad you liked second one, though. Hope it's all clear now.
Avaible

Postby darkcore09 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:19 am

I made a little tutorial to create buttons using the NoveltyML designer, uploaded to my own account. Is something really simple, but it's a start (I hadn't made a tutorial before).
A suggestion: You can edit your first post to include the videos added to this topic so people can find them faster.

Making a button in NoveltyML Designer
darkcore09

Postby Avaible » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:07 am

I made a little tutorial on that, too, what a coincidence.
As for the suggestion: I think I keep it this way, I'm too lazy to change it now. And I'm sure people will only search for blue lines only. No, I'm really just lazy.

Anyways, here's the new link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbLzmZEC1s4
Avaible

Postby darkcore09 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 am

darkcore09

Postby Lekhaka » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:23 am

Good job on these tutorials!

I think it would be best to compile all the links in the first post for easy reference?
Lekhaka

Postby darkcore09 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:27 am

@Avaible
I just noticed you said "CamStudio" in your first video, nothing about video editing. I don't know why I downloaded Camtasia but it was useful anyway.

PD: See? lekhaka agrees with my idea x)
darkcore09

Postby Avaible » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:35 am

Eh, I was writing the answer for one post and suddenly there were two more ... that never happened before here, I'm happy:-)

Anyways,
@darkcore: same train of thought;) I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only one.
And yeah, I use Camtasia, too, but I said CamStudio because Camtasia isn't exactly a free programm (well, we both don't know how to google for torrent or download, right;)).
Zooming is actually quite easy, there's a big button 'Zoom-n-Pan' in form of a loupe. Then again, I haven't worked with it much either, I have yet to watch the tutorials and whatnot of it, too.

@Lekhaka:
yeah, I understand, the two of you have convinced me - I will post the links in the first post of mine ... tomorrow though ... :mrgreen:
Avaible

Next

Return to General Discussion