[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Motivation & Ideas

Motivation & Ideas

Discussions about Novelty, visual novels and other worldly things.

Motivation & Ideas

Postby skim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi everyone.

It's going to winter break for a short one month for me after this week, so I was thinking about the game I had been working on, before school began to devour most (all) of my free time, since come break I'll have some free time to do whatever I want. (Game's "website" is here: http://community.livejournal.com/danshikinshi/)

I took a writing class this semester, which taught me a lot, but despite my expectations the class didn't teach me how to write at all. We just read a few good poems and stories and then immediately moved on to critiquing each other's work without any guidelines as to how to write or how one goes about forming an orderly logical plot.

So now with break coming along, I'm sitting down to try to squeeze out a plot, a story, some sort of dialogue or screenplay, anything, to get myself on the right track, but nothing is coming out except for the occasional dreary rant about horrible instructional strategies or the sleepless nights I spent arguing archaic points of Japanese philosophy for a ten page essay.

I'm trying to figure out why I started this game, but I can't quite remember. I wrote it down everywhere but its point seems moot to me, but it seems like such a waste to just give up on the project after clinging to it pending death for over a year. I thought perhaps the subject matter is too overdone, and that may be why I can't find anything interesting (new) to contribute, but then again, a lot of stuff is overdone, like super powers, vampires, going to other worlds, being visited from other worlds, that I don't think the genre (school) is the core of the problem.

Hoping that perhaps by seeing the mistake of others I would feel motivated to create a "better" game I started to play a few different games, but in the end I couldn't find the patience to read all those lines of text and stuck to Super Mario and Prince of Persia -- stuff that has short term goals and immediate rewards such as a new map or a new enemy to fight.

Maybe I'm just not built for this kind of game making, but I wish I could find a way I could still make one anyway. I'm too stubborn and bossy to work with other people so I told myself I could try to make a game by myself, but I'm not finding it all that rewarding and it's difficult to begin or complete.
skim

Re: Motivation & Ideas

Postby Honya » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:12 pm

By writing class do you mean a general English class or a creative writing class? If it's the former, you should try to take a creative writing class next semester. If you already have, maybe you just are not the type for writing. I hate to say it but you can't always just expect to have strict guidelines given to you from someone like your professor; writing is something that you sort of have to learn yourself. Also having technical writing ability doesn't necessarily mean you are a good writer. I've known people who have followed to the letter things they learned purely from English classes but everytime they write, things come out sounding dry and bland. If you want to avoid this, you really should do the simple thing and just sit down and try to read more to expose yourself to various writing styles and techniques. That's the easiest way to try to improve your writing skills.

I too also like to work by myself when possible but that also means you need ten times the motivation to get anything done. If you want some inspiration to get real work done, then you should note even the most insignificant ideas you get even if you think it may just be a little unique. If you try to take that tiny idea and expand and elaborate it, you may find yourself with something that makes you want to keep working on your game. From there, everything else such as plot may become much easier and more natural. Remember that this idea does not necessarily have to be entirely new because the idea of complete uniqueness is an illusion. As long as you write it well, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh but I'm trying to give you real advice that you can use so that you can work on your game. Please don't give up just yet! You have a whole month now and who knows what you may come up with and write during this time. Good Luck!
Honya

Return to General Discussion