[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Finishing a Game

Finishing a Game

Discussions about Novelty, visual novels and other worldly things.

Finishing a Game

Postby skim » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/113662 ... ing-a-game

Thought it was a very insightful / interesting article that everyone would benefit from reading ;)
skim

Re: Finishing a Game

Postby Lekhaka » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:44 am

Just from what I've seen, though, it seems like the VN community would benefit more from achieving past 50% than to finish that last 10%...I think the difference is that VNs don't usually have the exponential bug growth that games do...
Lekhaka

Postby ErikB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:02 am

I've seen that article before and the "last 10 percent" paragraph is pretty accurate. When we finished I stayed until 3 am fixing the last bugs; drunk from prematurely opened champagne.

Though I don't think finishing a game should be the goal for all developers. As you're developing... as a developer, it's just as good to sharpen your teeth on less than serious projects.

I was a hobbyist developer long before I started doing this for a living and I've frequent a swedish developer forum. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a someone announces a new project and draws up a ridiculously large-scale concept (like the epic MMO) and the first thing they do is create a web site and a logo, just so that they can show off their non-existent game. My experience is that if showing off is the primary goal the game will never get made, not in a million years.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Lekhaka » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:32 pm

The analogous VN concept to the above: demos. It seems like most projects stop at that stage...
Lekhaka

Postby ErikB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby 8oni » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 am

Thank you for the link, reblog it on my tumblr so I can read it again, thanks :)
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Return to General Discussion