[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - "Novel Style" VNs

"Novel Style" VNs

Discussions about Novelty, visual novels and other worldly things.

"Novel Style" VNs

Postby HAXLION » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 am

I've been using Renpy for a while, struggling to learn even a little coding, and ended up coming to Novelty. Quite frankly, it seemed simpler and easy to use.

When I got to using the program, however, I found myself overwhelmed by the globs of menus and tutorials that aren't designed for idiots like me. ;_;

But anyway, I'm finally starting to get the hang of this. My dilemma? I'm trying to do a "Novel Style" VN, ala Tsukihime/Fate/Stay Night. I particularly liked the way Fate/Stay Night did its text, with a light box in the background that overlapped the character sprites and neatly organized the text. I'm dying to get something like that. For some reason, however, I can't seem to get that to work.

This was no problem in Ren'Py. Is there a solution for this?
HAXLION

Re: "Novel Style" VNs

Postby ErikB » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm always thinking about things that would make Novelty even easier to use. It's an evolutionary process and may take some time.

To answer your question, Novelty does not currently support an NVL-like mode that exists in Ren'py. In the early development of Novelty I actually posted the question to that community whether or not they really valued that mode and the responses I got led me to consider it a low priority.

There is an easy fix I could do for the next update if it's really important to you. Specifically, I could enable the option to append text to existing dialog rather than overwrite it. That way you should at least be able to roll your own NVL-mode.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby iamgothic2 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 am

You could do that, it will be slightly difficult. an easy way is making a dialogue box a big enough size with a low opacity.
iamgothic2

Postby 12riven » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:15 am

i also tried creating that kind of novel and i failed terribly. hopefully novelty will support that kind of style in the future.
12riven

Postby GJuntitled » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Are you still planning on adding a Nvl-mode?
I know that not many people would benefit from it but it still would be helpful ^^
The only reason that i didn´t switch to Novelty from ren Py is that it lacks a NVL mode...
It would be good if you could answer. I´m not really sure how much work it would be ut i hope that you could add it in the near future.
Novelty is a promising project and I would really like if it could become my primary developer platform.

GJ
GJuntitled

Postby ErikB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby GJuntitled » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:36 pm

GJuntitled

Postby ErikB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby 12riven » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 am

Well, Novelty's pretty easy to learn, as it is WYSIWYG.
The only reason we might a need a wiki for is when people want to learn more about scripting or making a character set.

But the tutorial for me is an okay alternative for now.
12riven

Return to General Discussion