[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - a basic way to paint

a basic way to paint

Need something? Art, Music, Story? Ask the community for help.

a basic way to paint

Postby Eidos-morphe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:36 pm

hi guys, this is my first time posting here and like you some day i want to complet a visual novel

and how the title says i would like to know an easy and/or basic way to give color to my sketch
i know that out there are a lot of tutorials in the web but i am new with digital painting so is most dificult for my get the results i need

im using photoshop and Sai to do mi sketchs like this ones

(this arent sprites)

so i would apreciete if someone could help my and teach my to give them a proper painting

(sorry for my bad english XD)
Eidos-morphe

Re: a basic way to paint

Postby kurokuro » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 am

First of all, your art is really good!! I am guessing you are using a tablet if you are drawing directly on the computer although drawing on paper+scanning+digital is a good way to do it too.

Now to answer your question, people typically make new layer(s) underneath the lineart layer where they could color. From there on, it's really up to you. You can lay down flat colors or try to shade, paint, etc. Think of the program as having a nice big box full of art materials.

Just as a teeny, tiny note: since you're using Photoshop and SAI, your lineart's probably already on a transparent layer, that's good. Keep it that way and make sure you save it with opacity. It will save you a world of trouble later on.
kurokuro

Re: a basic way to paint

Postby pineapplepocky » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 pm

First, I'd recommend you go online and look at other peoples' work. See what kind of coloring style YOU like, figure out WHY you like it. Then, afterwards, look up tutorials on similar methods of coloring. If you're checking deviantart, every once in a while they'll specificially tell you the kind of 'method', like speedpainting, soft shading, vector, watercolor, etc etc. If you're more fortunate, they'd post a tutorial on how they did it themselves. You might not understand what they're saying, but it'll give you a head start on what you should be working towards.

..oooor you can just straight up look it online 'how to shade using Photoshop/Sai'

The thing is, the easy way for them may be the hard way for you, or the easy way for you is the hard way for them.
Current VN project: Destiny Limit.net
FB:
Art Site:
Deviantart:
webcomic:
pineapplepocky

Return to Help Wanted