[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - RPG Decision Making Visual Novel

RPG Decision Making Visual Novel

Need something? Art, Music, Story? Ask the community for help.

RPG Decision Making Visual Novel

Postby MickeyPryde » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 am

I want to make a Visual Novel where the decisions you make impact the route you take but instead of doing it the way that is just branching I want to be able to do such things as say you made a decision earlier in the game and if you made that choice then some specific will happen later impacting the story. If someone knows how to do that it'd be appreciated, also if it's not too much trouble and it seems like there are a few steps could you take a couple screen shots?
Thanks.
MickeyPryde

Re: RPG Decision Making Visual Novel

Postby Avaible » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm

That, as well, is branching. Really, only limitation is your imagination on how to use branches and variables. Tip, first be clear about what each action does in Novelty, once you get this down the rest comes naturally (make a few flow charts if it helps you get your thoughts into order).
Avaible

Postby fleet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Like Avaible said, it's done with branching, I do it with menus, variables, and branching.

Here's how to use variables on pages with menus and branches without creating scripts.

Example: On a page that you intend to place a menu, in the Action catalog, scroll down until you see "Set game Variable"
Double click on it to send it to your Action Window.
In the Property Inspector window, type in a Variable name. such as 'Love'
In the same window, select the operator "Assign"(it's the default)
In the same window, type in the number 0 in the value box.

Go back to the Action catalog, scroll up and double-click on Show menu.
Over in the property inspector tab, after selecting a menu style, in Option 1, for the Phrase, type in Tell you you like her.
In the Event box for Option 1, select 'Set variable'
This will add a variable name block to the property inspector window.
In the variable name box, type in love (use the EXACT name that you did before).
For the Operator box, select Add
For the Value box, type in 1

In the Phrase box for Option 2, type in Tell her she has a nice personality
In the Event box for Option 2, select 'Set variable'
This will add a variable name block to the property inspector window.
In the variable name box, type in love (use the EXACT name that you did before).
For the Operator box, select Subtract
For the Value box, type in 1.

You only have to create the variable love one time.

To make the ending selection, on a subsequent page, double click Branch from the Action catalog.
IN the Property inspector window, click on Condition
This brings up the Edit condition pop up window.
In the Edit condition pop up windows, click on the green + sign.
This will add contents to that window, type in love in the Variable name box.
In the Operator bix, select Greater than or equal
In the Value box, type in 1 (or if you are going to have multiple menus, type in an appropriate number (for example, if you have five menus, with the option of adding or subtracting 1 in each case, if you want the player to get a good ending if he has a majority of good selections, type in 3).
Click on the Done button to close the Edit condition pop up window.
Back in the Property inspector window, in the When true box, select an appropriate Event (I like to use Change Page, where you would go to a happy ending).
IN the Property inspector window, in the When false box, select an appropriate Event (again, I like Change Page, where you go to the unhappy ending).
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby MickeyPryde » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 am

That was significantly helpful, thanks a lot.

One other thing than just a one time thing say earlier in game like much earlier you make a certain decision and I want it to come into play so far down the line that it basically has an impact on the ending because their decision calls another variable from earlier in the game then if it is set to true or the number chosen because they made that choice. (Bad at explaining bare with me lol)
So say hours of text and other decisions earlier in the game you choose to kill someone important so later they have another scene where they reappear but they are dead so the scene will change completely. Can I do that? And if it's a bit more complex than the one variable action you explained to me can you tell me how I'd do that?
MickeyPryde

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 pm

fleet

Postby MickeyPryde » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 am

So all I need to do is make the Variable then call it into play later? So if I do that can I call that same Variable again?
I have so many ideas so I have a lot of questions sorry lol Say I want you to do something VERY specific to get to a certain point so say you do 3 things that are all in 3 different variables. How do I make it so the certain thing in the Visual Novel only happens if all 3 Variables are called because all 3 decisions were made? I imagine you just stack them all up and if one of them isn't "true" because the player didn't make that choice it will skip the possible scene and continue.
MickeyPryde

Postby fleet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 am

What you want to do might be easier if you have a variable named 'route'. Each time one of the 'corect decisions is made add the value one to 'route'
Then when you reach your critical point, you can use the branch action with the conditon if "route' equal to 3 is true, go to page 7, and if "route" equal to 3 is false, go to page 9.
fleet

Postby MickeyPryde » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 am

MickeyPryde

Postby fleet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Just about everything I've mentioned in my posts is accomplished with the Action catalog. None of it involves scripting. I've posted a screen shot.
menu-variable-branch.JPG
fleet

Postby MickeyPryde » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 pm

That is VERY helpful and exactly what I was looking for so I believe I shouldn't have any other questions on that specifically since I'm pretty sure if I want that decision to take effect later than right before it happens I can place the condition if 'route' equals 'set number' it will go there and if it doesn't it will continue to where I say it will go instead.
Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.
This next one is pretty much same question just a bit different, the ending of the game I don't want to be in Visual Form, I'm considering taking the time to make a voice over with video so it is actually separate videos that play at the end depending on the route you choose and decisions you made.
Video making isn't a big deal so that's covered.
1. If I make Variable earlier then when condition is true and video plays can I make another video play after it (Even after a loading screen which I'm not sure how to make.) Just by calling Conditions to another Variable right after the video before it ends?
2. I've tried putting a video into Novelty before but I failed. I imported the video but I must have done something wrong, is there a format it should be on? How to I make it so video will play? If you can't and all you can do is make scenes manually using Novelty I heard it's way too much trouble and not to bother. Lol So I wouldn't.
MickeyPryde

Postby fleet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't see any reason why you couldn't have one video play after another one.

To insert a video in your visual novel, see my post in the liked topic.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1279&p=7932&hilit=play+video#p7932

The site's search function is your friend. Try using it. :D
fleet

Return to Help Wanted