[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

Re: How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

Postby Hyperguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Spoiler tags for Clock Tower, a game that was released in 1997? Are you for real? What's next? Requesting spoiler tags when someone mentions that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Give it a rest. While we're at it; Aeris dies, Spike Spiegal dies, and Jar Jar lives.

Back on topic, Inkyblackandred if you're serious about making a scary story, I'd suggest you read this article on designing scary games:

Hyperguy

Postby Avaible » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't really care about the game, but you should put at least the Spike-part of your message in spoilers, as it is a classicer most will watch when they're new to Anime - and it is not the first series you usually come across.
Avaible

Postby ErikB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:19 pm

ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Momiji » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:15 am

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby Hyperguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:06 am

Hyperguy

Postby ErikB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Again, respect is to cater to other people's sensibilities. There's no point in arguing whether or it's an actual spoiler when some people clearly took offense. It certainly doesn't help you make any friends. The button's there for a reason.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Hyperguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:59 pm

But the moral of the story is; if you do use spoiler tags you may just have a shot at becoming the next presidente of Nicaragua.

Hyperguy

Postby EriksBlue » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:58 am

Have likable characters in danger.
EriksBlue

Postby Momiji » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby Skeywolf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 am

The one thing i know scares the crap out of me, is when i'm really deep in concentration. Like on a story line because it's really intresting, and has vivid detail (helps if it's bruital and makeing me nausiouse) and then out of no where there is something that pops up. It helps if the thing looks scary and makes a screaming noise, however if it pops up out of nowhere i'm scared nonetheless even if it is a person trying to help.
Skeywolf

Postby TeenVisualNovel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:15 am

There should be a surprise and all that biz to make people scared, but the only thing that scared me is some movies, there are some scary vn that could be found in google but its very toublesome to find
TeenVisualNovel

Postby TimeLeaper » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:04 pm

WOW I have gotten alot of good advice here,i feel so bad i stopped visting the forums but alot of stuff happened these last 2 years,I`ll have you know i did finish the first scenario of the novel HOWEVER it never got made since i was having self esteem issues with my art also back then i had`nt decided my career path yet (now i did and i really wanna work with concept design) so in other words i was forced to drop everything and put myself on a harsh self teaching lesson where i get frustrated alot and try my hardest to learn how to draw I even enorlled myself in drawing classes this year so i could learn how to properly draw and while im doing those im gonna be studiyng art on my own.Well needless to say the PC on which i had written the script "fried out" june last year so i had to get a new (better) PC so i completley lost a script that took me 3 whole months to write ;----;,basically what i came here to do was thank you guys for all the advice i did read some of the earlier posts and they helped me alot,plus i had my Highschool Drama Teacher always review my stuff it was a lot of help since VN do have that theatrical aspect of it and he taught me alot about how to write something compelling and suspensefull. In the end the amazing Timetravel-Supernatural-Slasher-Horror/suspense did`nt gate made ;---; maybe i`ll try re-working it later.
TimeLeaper

Postby blueserena » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 am

I'm also a fan of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Parts of this story (I didn't watch the anime, so I'll just talk about the manga) that scared me the most was the last scene in Watanagashi where or in Meakashi That part was real scary, because I didn't know if it was Oyashiro sama, or something that could kill Shion.(Hands are always scary) So I think atmosphere and situations play an important role, especially if you don't know who's going to die when.
blueserena

Previous

Return to Writers Guild