[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

Postby Inkyblackandred » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 am

Hey Guys im a random noob artist/writer who is addicted to Horror stories.

And ive been working on a huge piece with 12 arcs,I haven't named it yet but the story is about Random Killings happening in a mid sized town,and the main character seems to have deja-vu about these killings and weard nightmares that announce that someone will die,Im a sucker for Japanese Horror,and im an absolute fan of Higurashi no naku koro in and i would like to know what kinds of elements scared the S@%¨$ out of you guys (if you got scared) on Higurashi no nak koro ni,if it was text please post what part,if it was grphics please try to find the image (The Image part is only apliable to Matsuri of course) and if you know any other good Horror/Gore Visual novels please tell me so i can read them thank you :D
Inkyblackandred

Re: How do i make a story scare the crap out of people ??

Postby Avaible » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:39 am

There's nothing that scared the whatever out of me in the past few years, can't help you with that one, sorry.

But I think a good way to disturb peoples mind is to have drastic measures taken for insignificant things - like being killed per law for coming late to a meeting.
I hate those things because they make me feel uneasy, so I would assume it's an important part of a horror story.

Novel Gore:
- Saya no Uta

Novel disturbing:
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
Avaible

Postby Inkyblackandred » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:48 am

Saya no uta looks pretty scary,but the other novel looks like a normal romance VN,Does it have any School Days like endings or smtg like that ??
Inkyblackandred

Postby Avaible » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 am

In my opinion it's worse because everyone knows the story-line of school days but not of that novel.
The longer you play it the more distrusting of peace you will become.
Avaible

Postby Inkyblackandred » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:59 am

Ok i'll be sure to check it out later thanks for the reccomendations
Inkyblackandred

Postby cidthekitty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:23 am

hmm well nothing as far as horror movies and books and stuff scare me im such a horror buff myself lol. but in real life my two biggest fears are spiders (and bugs) and being completely alone in the dark. I've heard that things like resident evil and survival horror games can be scarey because of the dark atmosphere then suddenly something popping up outta nowhere. So im not sure how that would work in a visual novel but maybe you can have it so the player is searching around for clues to one of the murders and its really quiet no music then maybe i dunno turns a corner or opens a door and BAM loud noise and something scary like a dead corpse out of no where might work?

either way, the element of suprise might work as far as scaring/startling someone lol.

id say probably wierd things creepy things like dead people or monsters and dark atmosphere would be another way to scare people.
yanderes like in higurashi with the adorable little girls turning completely crazy killkill is probably another way to throw people off and kinda scare them.

current progress: Chris is finished. Currently working on Mason, Kitsu, Megan, and Jeremy's route. Chris and MC sprites are finished.
cidthekitty

Postby Avaible » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:15 am

Avaible

Postby Asmudee31 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:14 am

I think that a nice aspcect of a VN is that the reader is forced to imagine everything that isn't given to them. If you feed the reader seemingly useless information in a non scary environment(psycho murderer on the loose that stabs people in the stomach) and then make those thoughts slowly creep up to their minds in a scary environment, it helps. Also it helps to describe everything that isn't visual, like texture's, smells, noises (sound effects really help), and such with more emphasis than the visuals so the reader can imagine all of the blood and gore. Sudden sharp sounds (not neccasarily loud) are good when timed well. Just be careful to set a boundary for the unimaginative readers as well. :P
Tell me of yourself. Are you fictional, or merely an illusion?
Asmudee31

Postby Moonya » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:50 pm

one of the games that used to scare me a lot where the tomb rader games. You was going your buisiness, swimming about or something like that and boom, u where faced with a crock. Never liked those sudden attack moves
Moonya

Postby CeresBane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Its a very simple thing really. You take an idea that is very common. A part of people's lives and you twist its meaning or rather give new meaning to it.

For example children's laughter. Usually gives you the image of children having fun and children are nice and innocent right?

Let's rework that meaning.

Let's start with setting, like say the classic blood drenched coridor, nice and dark and full of weird noises like creaks and water drops and everything is is twisting a winding. A setting just itching for something to jump out at you and leave you at suspense, because even if you hear something and knows its direction you can easily get lost because of how everything winds inwards and outwards like a maze.

Now you use the children's laughter as a progressive plot device. the classic cliche is that your character moves towards the sound to investigate because children in a horrible place seems out of place. A little cognitive dissonance. Like making toast with water.

Now let's add some dialogue. the children are laughing sure but they're saying things to. Like they're commenting on something funny like how something walks or the strange sound things make.

Then you foreshadow. Add in a "innocent victim element", something human like a person (a normal sounding person) saying something like "no more" or "I'm sorry" and "I beg you". It is optional to add more exposition at this point and hint as to why the person is suffering (make it disturbing, like the guy molested one of the children).

then you hear some noise, like a thud and some grunts. It continues while the children continue to comment as well as giggling.

Now you add a dilemma.

"hello?"

or "[remain silent]

one of which is a bad end.

depends if you want to go with "false sense of security" jump scare or the "fight or flight scare"

Now you reveal your horror. In this case depending on your approach. either the kids are watching something through a bloody window as a "monster" attacks the victim. Giving the impression that the kids watching are harmless and so it might be ok for your character to approach them.

or the kids are doing the act themselves. lets go crazy here. like slicing the molester apart while pleasing themselves with him.

voila. instant... scared and horribly disturbed face.
La petite mort is northing compared to what I'm feeling right now...
CeresBane

Postby fleet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:18 am

Remember the opening of the Twilight Zone movie? Where Dan Aykroyd asks "Do you want to see something really scary?"

Now THAT scared the crap out of me.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby CeresBane » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 am

La petite mort is northing compared to what I'm feeling right now...
CeresBane

Postby OctoberAvon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:47 pm

A good game to look at is Clock Tower: The First Fear, this game is kinda like a visual novel but you get to move the character around.
A nice example for this is Bobby Barrows spawning points, because they are highly unexpected and well... creepy.
Here is a list of the ones I know.

The Piano Spawn

The Book Shelf Spawn

The Mannequin Spawn

The Bathtub Spawn

The Pool Spawn

The Glass Window Spawn

The Window Spawn (Only available in the remake)

You can find them on Youtube, and the Clock Tower Wiki, good luck!
Last edited by OctoberAvon on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OctoberAvon

Postby fleet » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi. May I suggest you edit your post to put the spawning points inside spoilers?

very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby OctoberAvon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

OctoberAvon

Next

Return to Writers Guild