[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Cliché Endings (or traits) Thread (Good or Bad)

Cliché Endings (or traits) Thread (Good or Bad)

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

Cliché Endings (or traits) Thread (Good or Bad)

Postby Eva13796 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Even though it's probably not a smart move, but I already came up with multiple endings before I even finished the first half of the script. I don't know why but the endings came to me first before the actual exposition so it'll be interesting to see how the story will shape up till the end. I might end up changing the endings, but one ending I'm especially looking forward to writing when I get to it is what I would call the "Effed up ending". Yeah, a total cliché would be the Shakespearean method of killing everyone off, including the heroine, but I want to write it so badly.

On another point, I don't think cliché endings are necessarily bad endings, but execution of the cliché is more important to me, at least. I mean, let's face it, many epic/awesome stories turn sour because of an unsatisfying ending. Some cliché endings that would most likely show up are:
-Hero dies, everyone lives or dies also
-Everyone looks onto the horizon
-Hero lives, everyone lives or dies
-Cliffhangers of any kind, especially when those don't lead to a sequel (I'm looking at you, Inception).
-Guy/Girl dates or marries the love interest and offspring might occur
-Looking up to the sky for any particular reason
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is created for anyone who wants to post/talk about clichés with the intention of bringing up interesting conversations or bringing up clichés that can be inspiration or be worked into something improved/innovative.
Eva13796

Re: Cliché Endings (or traits) Thread (Good or Bad)

Postby fleet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 am

Okay, I'll admit it. All of my VNs have several endings, and one of those endings is always "they get married and have offspring."

Since very few people comment on my VNs (the thread of the site where I upload has LOTS of hits), I assume that the reader was not strongly impacted one way or another.

I have no intention of writing a story/game with a cliff hanger ending. I read a story/play a game to see a conclusion (the hero overcomes the problem, or the problem overcomes the hero).

very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby ChimeraTheChimera » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

h, cliches, how I love them so. I will admit this--I like a happy ending every once and a while. But honestly, downer endings or 'effed up endings' as you like to call them are why I love movies and books. I can take some sort of media: be it a movie, book, VN or otherwise, and through some sort of magic and pention fro detial, twist it into a downer ending one way or another. My current VN has a 'happy ending', but I can only hope it's not very obvious, as the whole thing seems to have a rather dark overtone. Eitherway; I'll probably end up making a downer ending, too. 'Cause that's just how I roll.
Fanfiction!

I do art commissions, voice acting, and graphics. Just PM me!
Isn't it great? You know, being too lazy to find an avatar, I mean.
ChimeraTheChimera

Location: That closet you got shoved into last summer. You know, in West Virginia?

Postby Ants64 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am

well...I Don't wish to spoil my game too much but i will post here one or two of the endings
Don't read if you are going to play my game

Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby gekiganwing » Sat May 19, 2012 4:53 pm

I honestly don't know if there is an ending which *can not* be called cliche. Millions of concepts and ideas have been expressed in fiction. Is there anything which has not been written a thousand times?

If my assumption is correct, then let's not get worked up about cliches. Just write what you enjoy, and write according to your strengths.
gekiganwing

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 am

kratoscar2008

Postby fleet » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:30 pm

fleet

Postby kratoscar2008 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am

kratoscar2008

Postby fleet » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:02 pm

We'd better get back on topic.
I'm not a fan of cliche traits. I hope my VN characters do not exhibit such traits.
fleet

Postby kratoscar2008 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:18 am

kratoscar2008

Postby Avaible » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:33 pm

I prefer complete happy ends over everything else, no matter how often that's been done before (which ... actually isn't that common ...), so I guess I'm fine with it being clichê^^
Still, an ending has little merit if it isn't well done, you can do alot of things wrong with endings no matter whether overdone or not as common.
Avaible

Postby elhlyn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 am

I myself find to be a sucker for happy cliche' too. in my visual novel (still under development and it's my first one) almost everyone sort of have a happy ending. whats different was that in my story, the 2 main characters got married and gave birth to a child in between the middle and end of the story (the story itself is 4 years in length) but if there is 1 thing I must say to all of you, there is a reason why these sort of things are Cliche' ;) or else, it wouldn't be cliche to begin with no?
elhlyn

Postby 8oni » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Hmmm... I like the ending where my main char is dead, but I also like when they have a happy ending. So I guess it's all depend on what mood I'm when I make an ending :lol:
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Return to Writers Guild