[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - The relationship game

The relationship game

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

The relationship game

Postby ErikB » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Persona series? I've played some of Persona 3. I haven't played Persona 4 but I've watched every episode of the .

What's neat about Persona is that there's a social part of the game. Besides fighting monster you need to balance your social life and connect with other people. But it is admittedly very "gamey". Socializing with people always has a positive effect and it's nothing more than a series of individual ladders you need to climb. The only cost for socializing is time, as it can be spent on other things and there's a series of time limits in the game in which you need to beat a boss.

I've always wanted to create a game where social interactions is the game. Like Persona there would be a ton of characters to hang out with, but unlike Persona they would have their own agendas and social connections. Like real life, you need to find your place within your group(s). You don't have to like everyone you meet, but being a dick may swing around and hit you in the head. Similarly, you can't go around being nice to everyone either. Some interactions might benefit you more than it does your closest friends.

Let's say you spend some of time with a particular girl in the game and since you're such an awesome player she begins to like you. You then begin to spend more time with other people (possibly another girl). This would have a negative effect on the first girl, because she would feel left out, whereas there wouldn't be any negative effect on her if you had never spent time with her in the first place.

Things of this nature would be cool to see in a game.

ErikB
Novelty developer

Re: The relationship game

Postby Hyperguy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:53 am

I concur. This would be an interesting game style to develop. Admittedly, most games featuring relationships have romance as the primary objective, though I think that romance is only a small part of relationships compared to the different kind of complex relationships people tend to have.

More often than not relationships between characters is decided before a gamer has the ability to alter them, and a game where you can start relationships between characters from scratch would be refreshing.

For example, in most games with this type of mechanic the main character already knows a few people in the area they're in. That is, there's already established relationships like childhood friend, friend of parents, etc.

I think a more interesting approach would be a game where someone just arrived in town and doesn't know anyone. That way the player could start up new relationships from scratch and ultimately decide how they'll relate to everyone else in the world they're traversing through. An option to choose the gender of the player character would be a plus too.
Hyperguy

Postby ErikB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes, I didn't mention it, but I also thought the main character should be someone who moves someplace, starting from scratch, which is more or less how the story in Persona 4 begins.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Anome-chan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 am

That's how it is in Persona 3 too; the protag is a transfer student from another place who comes to attend Yasogami High (at least, I think that's the name of the school in P3 X-X I might have gotten it mixed up with the school from P4...)

That would indeed be an interesting thing for a visual novel~ ^^ Choosing the gender of the main character has always been something I look for when choosing games; the Persona series is awesome in so many ways, but you're still stuck playing as a guy from the very start. xP (And in the case of P4, a somewhat unattractive guy xP lol)

That's why I like the Harvest Moon series; sure, in some of them you have to be a guy or girl, but there are more games recently that give you the option to choose your gender. ^^

But anyway. . .

It would also be cool to see different relationships in games, like: Love/Hate, Rivalry, Enemy, etc. Things of that narute would be fun to have in a game. xD
Anome-chan

Postby Asmudee31 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 am

This thread is kind of dead now, but I'm still gonna add to it.

This reminds me of the social system in the Sims series, but with dialogue. A lot of people want to have that much freewill in a game, but sadly it takes a very dedicated writer(s) to set up the field for the reader. The next best thing would be to type in your own personal response to a question and the computer pick out key words to activate a proper reaction.

Is Novelty capable of taking key words and applying a variable like that??
Tell me of yourself. Are you fictional, or merely an illusion?
Asmudee31

Postby takeoverworld » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

That sounds like it would be a great game... but very hard to write. It sounds like it would take ages!
takeoverworld

Postby Avaible » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:45 pm

It would, and a very good and dedicated team of writers to pull this off. I, for my part, couldn't do this, since I would give the protagonist to much of a character, which doesn't suit the idea of the game.
Avaible

Postby CeresBane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Wait isn't that all pretty much how a visual novel works? a tad crude but it still does what it says on the tin.

On that note though, The visual I'm going to make has a similar feel. (prolly similar to GTA2 mission system where doing missions for other gangs builds hostility on the gangs that oppose the one your helping).

Plus considering the enviroment is an all-girl's school. Trying for a Yuri ending is a hit or miss affair as there might be some characters that are into that and others that are not.

Naturally either choice you make there will always be someone hating you.

But its not really all romance, its also political as the alliances you make and the actions you do through the story determines how you live or die and what trials you encounter.

its not just a romance or a fantasy or an action or just an adventure or a school drama. Its genreless. Its life in a weird situation.

But as I said many visual novels have achieved this (albeit biasly for fanservice so far)
La petite mort is northing compared to what I'm feeling right now...
CeresBane

Postby Avaible » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:52 am

You're right to a degree, visual novels often include social interactions. And yes, visual novels rely on choices from time to time.
What this thread is talking about is something like that but on a much grander scale. And while it's not impossible for one person alone, it is questionable wether someone would want to do it.
Avaible

Postby CeresBane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:55 am

CeresBane

Postby Avaible » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 pm

No, we're trying to make a visual novel. With the power of indie, that is.

Game of life is a board game and well, where's the story?
Fallout is a computer game, and has how many millions of production value? You know, while the series has a lot of everything, they also have an exponential amount of money to do it. Due to most, if not all, of us not being millionaires or more such a scale is but a dream of us.
Avaible

Postby CeresBane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:10 pm

CeresBane

Postby jvcscasio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:21 pm

I think I may be able to handle a story like this, I always work with lots of characters, I love to show interations in my novels and mangas. I simply don't like backgroud characters, everyone has their own problens and anyone can be a main character of it's own story (quote from Negima ;) )

When I finish my adaptation that I have been slowly writing for more than a year, I will do an english language relashionship novel^^

Edit: corrected a mistake (Hadle > Handle)
Last edited by jvcscasio on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby Avaible » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Good luck with it.
Avaible

Postby jvcscasio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 pm

It would be fun if we still discussed about it, I think it could become a new genre of visual novels. Relashionship novel FTW! :lol:

jvcscasio
FonFon

Next

Return to Writers Guild