[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - A scenario

A scenario

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

A scenario

Postby kurokuro » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am

Assume that you have all the skills and resources you may need at your disposal (or not. Your strengths and limitations definitely play a part too). You are to portray a scene where the main character wakes up at unknown place with no memories of his/her past whatsoever. Yes, I know. It's cliche as a face as white as a sheet of paper but play along.

A writer you will use words, an artist with pictures, a programmer perhaps the option to click and investigate objects in the room. As a visual novel maker, you are all three. How much of each element will affect how the readers will experience each story and there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it. For example, Ace Attorney (ok, maybe not exactly a VN but it has VN elements at least) is heavier on dialogue while 999 includes actual paragraphs describing the scene and characters.

How will you go about doing the above scenario?

This is more a matter of personal preference than skill but I'm kind of curious how people approach this medium.
kurokuro

Re: A scenario

Postby 8oni » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Everything is needed in order to make a good vn, but if it's me I will make the dialogue short since my protagonist isn't talking too much [in the scenario above] I guess.
Maybe the opening will be the sound [oh right, sound is an aspect that need to consider too on vn] of water dripping? Drip drip drip. Black BG then fades in BG of unknown room. The protagonist wake up, make some 'Ouch' comment, if it's me I will make s/he say something like 'Ow my head' so the player can have a bg of why s/he lose her/his memory. [Just second thought, maybe 'riiiing' -alarm- sound will be good too, imagine waking up on ordinary room and you forget who you are :lol: ]
After this I will make him/her say what is s/he wearing and what does ... ah I think I will just make the protagonist called pro then, too lazy to make all those 3rd person mark. Back to topic, what does pro bring with pro. Maybe cell phone, but no bar signal :lol: , maybe watch and then the date/time will pop up on scene, maybe something like 'A gun? Why I have a gun?' will make situation more tense for the player right ;) [and since I like horror I will make pro shoot zombie when pro go outside... but sadly I'm not able to make battle script yet so... ... or maybe there is no need for battle just shoot and shoot and shoot when the enemy show up :p ] and etc. Or maybe pro doesn't have anything at all, since whoever hit pro heads is taking away all pro possession?
Now for what our pro gonna do. I will make pro walk around the room [use arrow shape? I have see other vn like this, you hit the arrow and then the room 'move'], click stuff then explanation show up on dialogue like 'this bar will be useful, I will take it with me' or 'why there is chain here? It look solid, thank God I'm not chained there' etc. Inventory or no inventory is personal reference. But if the vn gonna be something that solve puzzle inventory is must-have I guess?
And that's all. Oh right, make some explosion [shake the scene and have BOOM sound is awesome isn't it] when the protagonist is wondering how pro go out will be one of alternative. Or just make the door unlocked will give more questions I guess 'The door opening with 'kriiieeet' sound as soon as I touch it. I guess I'm not a prisoner then?' <---is someone put you on those room and forget to lock it or not lock it since you are their friends or are you the one who entering the room yourself and not lock it?
Summary : less dialogue, ability to move around the room, inventory, sound effect and everything else is depended on the story.
So many idea, so little time
8oni

Postby kurokuro » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm

You are absolutely right. How could I forget the aspect of sound? A good soundtrack is practically vital especially when you think about memorable films but that can apply to vns too. Actually, it would be interesting to see a vn that highlights that... though I guess that won't be so much of a "visual" novel at that point but yeah, that's ... there...

It looks like you're pretty heavy on the interactive part. The pro seems really ambiguous with this set up; I even thought for a moment he could actually be the bad guy without knowing it :lol: It feels more like a game at this point , but ah well. I guess we can make this more of "what you can do with Novelty" rather than strictly a vn. The less dialogue really adds to the blank state of the pro too. The readers may be able to identify more with him this way. The inventory, I think, depending on the items you make available could really make a difference. It could be (too) linear where you get a key and duh you put it in the keyhole; or it could end up like handing the reader a milk carton, a vase, some string, and then somehow they're suppose to make a fully functional airplane from that. So long as you strike a good balance that could actually work really well though, I mean, the pro's amnesiac, right? ^^ Confusion at this point makes a lot of sense.

This is really cool, wow! The sense of action is really heavy!! I loved the idea of the pro having a gun for an unknown reason. That definitely heightened the tension for me.
kurokuro

Postby Avaible » Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 pm

I'd probably play with the expectations people often have with that setting. To be specific, the protagonist (pro) will be a fast thinker, though not remembering anything personal.
He then realises there's nothing in the space he woke up in, finds a door, said door is not locked, goes outside straight to some official place (police for example), since well he still retains general knowledge after all, tells them about his situation and they look things up.
They can give him all the information on himself that he needs to remember his memories and from thereon he goes about his normal life - except that no one ever knows why he was sleeping in that space forgetting who he was.

I'd probably use alot of sounds and music to create a tranquil atmosphere - since well, nothing worth mentioning happended right?

... right?
Avaible

Postby 8oni » Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 pm

So many idea, so little time
8oni

Postby kurokuro » Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm

kurokuro

Return to Writers Guild