Void of Perfection: My Episodic Horror VN Concept

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

Void of Perfection: My Episodic Horror VN Concept

Postby Ginose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:47 am

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but I must say: I freakin' LOVE Novelty. I've been dying to make my VNs for years, but I just never had the programing chops. Made a few with Flash, but the end results were always less than my true vision. An ease-of-use and brilliantly elegant design has made this the best VN designing program I have EVER used, and I feel my ambitions may finally come to fruition. Bless you, Erik Benerdal. You wonderful, wonderful being.

Well, praise out of the way, I'd like to expand on an idea I've been toying with since 2006; a visual-novel series, connecting several different stories (as of this writing, five) that all culminate around a mansion (and its adjoining grounds) that was/is the operating-grounds for a cult that follow several ancient prophecies of terrifying ancient-deities. A little Lovecratian in structure, I guess, but I've always loved the concept of anthology horror-films that all tie into a single source for various different terrifying stories that differ in tone and plot, similar to the 1993 film Necronomicon: Book of Dead or, to a lesser extent, the film-version of Heavy Metal (though, obviously, with considerably better structure... and story... and idea-- Just better, all around).

Though I'd rather not expand on too much of the story, just yet, but the first, and key, piece of the story is about a 14 year-old girl and the strange events surrounding her childhood. He father having been all-but non-existent in her early childhood, before disappearing completely when she was 4. This lead to a strange, depressing and uncanny relationship with her mother; this was all... sad and deeply disturbing for her, culminating with her mother's suicide earlier that year (the story picks-up about 3 months afterwards). This lead her into leaving her home, avoiding all involvement with her mother's death and the law, as it is, by becoming a vagabond, eventually arriving at the Gordon estate. Here she discovers the terrible supernatural happenings that tie to the history of the estate (this being the most exposition heavy entry) and her connection with the estates past and, potentially, its future.

I say potentially because this goes in many, MANY different directions depending on how the VN is played. I have many scenarios written with, at the moment, seven different endings that go in fairly different directions. This is kind of why I want to do this in five episodes rather than a continuing story: Aside from the history of the estate the stories will bear very little resemblance and connection to one another. I've scripted out the first episode and have outlined the other four, a few friends of mine are working on character art and a light score for it, we are looking for someone who can do the backgrounds, but our search is wavering, at the moment.

Anyone intrigued by the concept? I'd be happy to post some excerpts here if anyone cares to read them.
"Still closed.. Still closed. Mmmmm."
Ginose

Re: Void of Perfection: My Episodic Horror VN Concept

Postby fleet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forums. I think you have a good concept. I would recommend that you start small. Make either a short (10-15 minute) stand-alone visual novel or a 10 to 15 minute demo of your concept.
When you've finished making either the stand alone or demo, upload it and ask for constructive criticism.
Folks here are very polite and will offer good advice without belittling you.

Very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Re: Void of Perfection: My Episodic Horror VN Concept

Postby Ginose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks, Fleet. I very much have planned to do just that (the 10-15 minute demo) and have actually constructed a demo with some very rough artwork after I got comfortable with using Novelty. It's very crude, but I wanted to see how well it looked in execution. I COULD post that, if just to give the gist of it... but, honestly, it's hardly worth observing. I'll go ahead with an actual demo and post it here as soon as it's at least passable. I really do want some feedback on the community.

Also, I know it sounds ambitious, but I've been planning this all out for some time (as mentioned, I'd originally worked some of these in Flash with very mixed results), either way, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll be sure this forum is the first place I take the completed demo to.
"Still closed.. Still closed. Mmmmm."
Ginose

Return to Writers Guild