Has anyone ever tried making a story novel into a visual

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

Has anyone ever tried making a story novel into a visual

Postby Ants64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:33 pm

hello there everyone, as I'm still new to this sort of thing could i ask what the title says
Has anyone ever tried making a story novel in to a visual one?
For example tried making something like a Dnd:poisned type of game into a real novel book (sorry about my love for death note :D )
I was wondering if anyone could try making visual novels on...:

Death note Another note The Los Angeles BB murder cases: A novel that make not only the characters flinch but maybe the player if uncareful

Any of the assassin creed books : it would be a eye pleaser if it possible and would always be funny to see a anime ezio walking around

harry potter books ? : it would be hard to picture I think but little fan stories and being able to pick the spell you use from a menu always changing the outcome

Or even...so video games in a new style : now this is some what off the topic I think it would be good to see a "choice picking game" on something like dead space 2 ,mirror's edge or even batman arkyham city.

hope you enjoy the ideas and say what you think of them?
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Re: Has anyone ever tried making a story novel into a visual

Postby fleet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:22 pm

If you make a visual novel based on a copyrighted work, you can only do it with permission of the copyright holder, or if you have paid a license fee to the holder of the copyright. This is true even if you intend to give the visual novel away.
There are very limited exceptions to this.

It is legal to make a visual novel based on something that is in the public domain (like the Bible), or on something where the copyright has expired (like Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women").

More information on US copyright law is at http://copyright.gov/

DISCLAIMER:
I'm not a lawyer, so use any advice you get at web sites at your own risk. If you wanted definitive legal advice, contact an attorney who specializes in copyright law.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Ants64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 pm

oh ok but if you based something like it...so it inspired rather then ...how can i say "stolen"
well I will just make stories and visual novels from my own ideas rather then inspired or "stolen"
sorry if I'm using the wrong terms but I'm just saying that I'm no longer bothering with the idea and sorry for bothering you
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Berwald » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Ah yes, it's always about the copyright. Lol

I suppose you're allowed to make a visual novel based on copyrighted material only when you hold the copyright. :D
Berwald

Postby Ants64 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Oh well it was worth a try in asking Otherwise i was going to make a Death note like game and Say i don't own death note and that Tsugumi Ohba And Takeshi Obata are the owners but now knowing that well... it would be easier not to touch there xD
but i have a Idea to say the least! so know what i'm going to do ( sadly the art skills are not there too -_- )
:idea:
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Berwald » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Well, if you think your idea is great, you can always collaborate with other artists and even other writers too. :mrgreen:
Berwald

Return to Writers Guild