[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Story structure

Story structure

Discuss story ideas and the art of writing.

Story structure

Postby DokiDokiNeko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 am

I'm becoming more comfortable with this programme and would like to start writing my own VN. The problem is, I've never actually played one all the way through. ^///^ I know how to write a story, but as far as the structure of the game (paths, endings, events, etc..) I'm a bit lost. My story has 4 heroines whom you must win over by selecting the best answer to their questions. I read someplace that there should be an intro and then a path for each girl...? Can any of you more experienced writers help me out?
DokiDokiNeko

Re: Story structure

Postby fleet » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 am

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Brad's Summer is a VN I wrote quite a while ago that I think illustrates what you want . Here's a link, if you are looking for a sample.

EDIT: Link deleted, game is no longer available.
Last edited by fleet on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Avaible » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:07 pm

There are some, let's call 'em patterns, when analysing stories. Detective stories, for example, you usually realize that you're reading one pretty fast. The same can be applied to what you could call a typical romance plot: A and B meet, share emotions with each other, fall in love, ending.

For several girls this would simply mean that your decisions direct you to the path (the girl's/boy's sub-storyline of the whole work) of the girl/boy you aim for.

But that's just how things turn out often, there's no correct or wrong way to write a story.
Avaible

Postby DokiDokiNeko » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 am

Alright, I have a pretty good idea of how to write this now. Thanks so much. (:
DokiDokiNeko

Postby kash » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 am

Aside from genre, think about what would really grab your reader. Begin your story in the middle (the excitement). Get people enthusiastic about reading on. Most importantly of all just write. The hardest part is putting those first words unto page. I’m pretty self critical so that was the most agonizing part. Write from the soul. Write from what you know. Don’t worry if it’s good or not. I’m sure you’ll do fine.
What is the mountain's peak without pain of the trek to summit? What is victory without battle? What is Drama without Trauma?
kash

Location: The Glorious Greater People's Republic of the Amerikan Union

Return to Writers Guild