[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - DJ Hero: love it or hate?

DJ Hero: love it or hate?

Talk about commercial visual novels or anything game related here.

What do you think of DJ Hero

It looks really fun.
No votes
It's an interesting concept.
80%
It looks Ok.
No votes
I'm not feeling it....
20%

Total votes : 5

DJ Hero: love it or hate?

Postby Coatl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:05 am

So Activision is going to Release DJ Hero around October (In time for my birthday).

After watching gamplay footage and E3 footage, I honestly cannot wait. Basically the Company got a bunch of DJ, they brainstormed which songs they'd like to mash up or which ones seem fun to DJ with and made over 80 tracks in the game.

For those who haven't seen anything about it at all, look it up on Youtube.

The controller is basically going to be one turntable platter (or record player for those who don't know the terminology) and a fader (the thing that lets you control the volume of both records at a time)

The gameplay is a lot like Guitar Hero, you have a "highway" that is curved to represent the music spinning on the records and you have three buttons. one to for the rleft record, one for the right record and a middle one for samples. With the fade, sometimes the lines on the highways that represent the egdes will go farther right or left and that is the direction that your fader has to go.
There are scratching elements in the game, you are able to move the plater foward and back while hold the botton and it gives out a scratch sound.
You can do a sort of star power on it.
You can even fill a meter that will allow you to rewind the song in case you liked a certain part of the song or to correct mistakes.

Don't worry, the music will not be limited to just one genre, there will be rock, and techno and hip-hop. There is even going to be ten songs that were made to be compatible with the guitar hero controller so you can co-op with a friend

So tell me your opinions, and if you think it'll be bad, will you at least try it at the stores or at a friend's house to see how it is?
Coatl

Re: DJ Hero: love it or hate?

Postby ErikB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Here's a video:
http://www.giantbomb.com/raw-dj-hero-de ... 09/17-834/

As someone who's a big player of I can definitely appreciate the concept. But I'm not really ready to pay the 150 dollars the game will cost with the fancy controller.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Coatl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:42 am

Coatl

Postby ErikB » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 am

I don't think the genre is the problem. People who have been able to listen to some of the songs (at E3) have said good things about it. I think it's more club music and mash-ups rather than straight hip hop. To me, rhythm games are about the gameplay and mastering something hard, which is the traditional DDR approach. I don't need to like the music to enjoy the game but it helps.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Coatl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 am

Coatl

Postby ErikB » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 am

Dj Hero is stuck between a rock and a hard place because, as you're saying, people who aren't familiar with DJ'ing look at the controller and find it alien and weird while DJ enthusiasts thinks it's unrealistic and lame.
Pop does indeed suck, because it's so unimaginative and dull. What a (good) DJ does however is to add some much-needed creativity into the mix so I don't really see that as a valid argument.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Coatl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 am

Coatl

Postby ErikB » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I will probably pass on it. It will be 120 dollars, which interestingly enough wasn't a problem when Street fighter 4 came around and I bought a fighting stick. I just don't have the same amount of excitement for DJ Hero.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Coatl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:02 pm

My full on (UNBIASED) DJ HERO REVIEW

Controller:
I know a real table doesnt have buttons, but nether does a guitar. However, it provides a very close feel to the real think, and it actually rotates 360 degrees! :mrgreen:
you can even play with the butoons on the other side of the platter, and the game has an option to switch the track as such.
You may complain that the fader is slipperey, but that it the closest thing you'll get to the real thing. It does take a while to get used to it but it's great.
It's game, not a simulation but i wish they allowed you to put two platters on one fader to authenticate real DJs

Gameplay:
This is no beatmania knock off, the game has 3 streams representing the color of each button, and at times the stream will deviate to the far sides of the track which means you gotta shift the fader to ether right or left. pressing button in game is equal to when a dj taps the record back, you hear no scratch but intead the record will play back something from a splitsecond ago. In gutar hero, a button with fat "string" meant you fold a not, in DJ Hero, it means that you have to scratch when prompted. It's definably a new experience for compared to other games. I do wish they had a practice mode or an actual fail mode. I also wish that your mistakes can effect the mix by making it sound somewhat off beat.

Multiplayer:
needs work, but the guitar+DJ parts are awesome

Graphics:
Sure this aint the pretty boy feature but it's spectacular on next gen consoles and one thing I really love is that the camera is almost like it's affected by the music. For example on feavy drums samples or repeating rhythms, the camera zooms for a split second with every button press. Sometimes scratching can turn the camera left and right. and certain key segments of the song gives you a very cinematic angle. The lighting is phenomenal and characters such as Jazzy Jeff and Daft Punk look so alive.

Sound:
Now it might not have J Rock, or pop. but it has a lil bit of everything for everyone. From oldies, to rock, to 70's pop (Jackson 5 anyone?), even electronic music (Tiesto and Daft Punk). out of the 95 mixes, I have 65 in my iPod at the moment and after sharing the game with my anime club who were a bit hesitant of the game, they ended up writing me list of songs they'd want for themselves. The quality of the music is very professional and once again, the hero series proves that it knows its shit.

Overall
If you cant afford it, borrow or rent it.
8.5/10
Coatl

Return to Video Game Alley