[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - whats your favorite visual novel?

whats your favorite visual novel?

Talk about commercial visual novels or anything game related here.

Re: whats your favorite visual novel?

Postby Avaible » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Avaible

Postby ErikB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

Oops. I thought I was reading the latest post. Oh, silly forums.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby Lekhaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 am

Lekhaka

Postby jvcscasio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:25 am

It's difficult for you to go on jail because of a game translation.

But it's still agaist the world conveniences. Against the law.

If you make notes on a book, this notes are yours, but if you translate the book, the translation is illegal.

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby Lekhaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 am

Lekhaka

Postby Avaible » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 am

Avaible

Postby Lekhaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Ah, I think I was being selectively biased there, sorry. :oops:

Reviewing the arguments and what little relevant facts I know of, I now hold that to distribute an unapproved translation is likely against copyright laws.
Lekhaka

Postby Avaible » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Good that we talked about it;)

Too lazy to find the examples I spoke of, but if you search for Baka-Tsuki you should find that they dropped projects for that reason too.
On the other hand, maybe an even better proof that a lizenz for translating is required:
http://mangagamer.wordpress.com/
http://www.mangagamer.com/allages/

MangaGamer is a group that legally translates visual novels, following the first link you have to scroll down a bit, maybe in the older entries, there they explain how things work with copyrights, etc.
Please note that their site is adult-only (at least those links are), don't click on them if you're underage and have a functioning sense of self-restraint. I don't expect it though.
Avaible

Postby fleet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 am

Back on topic, I've enjoyed playing the Vera Blanc games by Winterwolves games. These are detective/mystery games.
very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Kumori » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:01 pm

The entire Ace Attorney series, but my favourite game of the Ace Attorney series is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations.

I also quite like Lux Pain, putting the awful punctuation and grammar aside. I really quite like the fact that the voice acting can be different from the text bubble being shown, it's really original and cool.
Kumori

Postby Momiji » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Funny how i missed this topic o.o

I think my favorites would be:
Ever 17- its a great seris, the idea of being able to play the 2 characters which effect the arc's was cool but i found it great as you had 2 presspectives on what was going on aswell as you could see your characters to others (i mean like i started of as the kid and found Takeshi annoying but when i played him 2nd, bother i didnt relise the choice choose the character but i got to see what the kid was like to other people and how they thought of him which was cool) oh but i did really hate Takeshi and his annoying pose he was always in xD and his face was irritating :P but i think the kid was agreat, i loved the mystery behind it but the constant life dangers (the countdown till it ends) was really fun and adding the alarms when they went of was awsome, it felt more action packed and beliveable. I also enjoyed the arc's was so obvious, i first played the kid and because i couldnt figure any chocies to get to Sara's path (i wanted hers first) i got entangeled up in You's path (first time though i always choose any choice i like) so i went for her, after enough CG's and getting her on my side i still missed her good ending and got the bad one, which felt sad Also the idea that the choice wasnt so obvious, but yet one epic seris

Yume Miru Kursi- i think it was fun, the stories was enjoyable and the characters was loveable, i didnt like Mizuki to much but i thoguht i hated her story at first but i got really into it later, just the H-scenes was unreal with her and became annoying. But non the less this was one moving and emotional one i will give it that.

Kanon- everyone loves clannad, what about kanon and air? (hopeuflly angel beats one day xD) Kanon i found more enjoyable than clannad, Yuuichi is about of a dick at times but he never goes to far and so hes enjoyable to play as but other characters are great but there stories was all so strong :D i found them more action and more "on the edge" feel to them, i loved shiori's but Ayu's was loveable, emotional and full of suspense and supprise, of course kanon the game only lives in its great name with the anime, 2 awsome combo's :D

they would be my top 3 i guess but theres lots others :D

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby EriksBlue » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 am

Sweet pool even thou i cant inderstand whats going on.
EriksBlue

Postby Crusher » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:08 pm

It's really hard for me to choose a favorite because I seem to have picked only good ones so far and enjoyed different things in them. So to me it's like a "what have you read so far".

1. Tsukihime, although that could be because it was my first one - I can't tell anymore. However, that's the first and last novel that actually brought tears to my eyes, so that's probably a good sign it still is.
2. Fate/Stay Night. Mostly because of the unlimited blades route, the other ones weren't that good in my opinion.
3. 999 - That one really keeps you interested from the beginning to the end and the true ending had some good surprises I didn't expect.
4. Saya no Uta - Hands down the novel that left the greatest impression on me. I read the whole thing in a single day because I just couldn't stop. It's not just the sickest horror story I've ever read, it's also surprisingly emotional and had a masterpiece of a soundtrack to back that up. I wasn't really sure what to think about it because the H-scenes really took it too far in my opinion, but the rest was just so sick and good I could not forget it - and that has to be honored. I just wish there was a version without all the sex scenes, that way I could really recommend that to anyone.
That's a problem I have with many visual novels and I liked the option in Tsukihime to remove it in the translated version. And I believe visual novels could become much more popular in Europe if they wouldn't concentrate so much on sex scenes because everyone keeps thinking it's some kind of sexual entertainment for freaks.

The only thing not in the list is a little indie project from Christine Love called "Don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story". That could have easily made it to the top if it had a good story. Unfortunately this was not the case. However, reading personal messages and forum posts from students as a teacher and being able to use that was a great idea and kept me more than interested the whole time. I really wish she would've taken more time for that one.
Crusher

Postby Momiji » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:00 am

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby Miss-Mae » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 am

My favorite so far has actually been Galaxy Angel. I really liked the story, and the added strategy battles were challenging - but really fun! The little animations were a nice added bonus, too. :]

My favorite otome game is definitely Tokimeki Memorial GS1. Wish more were translated out here. ; o ;
- Come check out my art site! \o/
Miss-Mae

PreviousNext

Return to Video Game Alley