[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - RPG Visual Novel

RPG Visual Novel

Talk about commercial visual novels or anything game related here.

RPG Visual Novel

Postby EriksBlue » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Do any of you know any RPG themed visual novel since in the near future I'll be making two fantasy type VNs? I need some examples so I can wrap my head around my future project.
EriksBlue

Re: RPG Visual Novel

Postby Avaible » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:59 am

Hm, novels I've played with various battle systems:
Eien no Aselia, Tears of Tiara, Utawarararara (no, Utawarerumono), Galaxy Angels, Gadget Trial, Sengoku Rance.

To order them:
Eien no Aselia and Sengoku Rance are somewhat of an inspiritation for my own battle system in the other thread. In Eien you have three fighters per side, one attacker, one defender, one supporter, and each fight only lasts a certain number of actions. You decide which skills to use before the fight, and only the single chosen skill will be used by each fighter.
It's a simple system when using it, but it certainly allows for some strategic thinking.
Sengoku Rance has six fighters (either single persons or armies, but they are handled the same way) on each side and each fighter has different skills you can use when it's their turn. It's a pretty cool system actually, since there are a lot of things to spice the battles up without really changing the idea behind it.

Then we have Tears of Tiara and Utaware, where you can navigate your fighters over a map. And then there is Gadget Trial, you create units and also send them over the map but the maps are far bigger than of ToT and Utas.

Galaxy Angel has a 3D battle system in space - you tell your ships what to do and whom to attack. It looks nice but it probably pretty ... difficult.

In Novelty you could theoretically make something along the lines of Eien and Sengoku Rance, but it's much work, and even more difficult would be something like Ua and Tears of Tiara and Gadget Trial - though not impossible probably, but I would stick with a 2D system like in Rance.

So, that's it from me, hope I could give you some ideas.
Avaible

Postby fleet » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:00 am

Bionic Heart comes to mind. There's a free demo available.Here's the link to the game information page.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby EriksBlue » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:26 am

Thank you these have given me some great idea's.

-I came up with the idea of creating a new button in the Novel Interface and having that go to a screen where your stats will be.

-My thought process -- Button (named stats or character) > Stat screen (containing progress bars for the stats you have earned).
Attachments
10-15-2011 3-16-27 AM.png
EriksBlue

Postby Avaible » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:09 am

Sure, go for that. But if you include stats for the player to see one important bit of advice from me would be to actually let the stats make a difference.
You know, there are stats like 'EasterEgg'Ometer here' which have no impact on the game at all and in no form. Those stats are useless and shouldn't be included at all.
But as long as the stats are having an noticeable influence on the battles/whatever I think it's a good idea for the player to have access to them.
Let's take the same example of 'EasterEgg'Ometer' - if you can increase this stat by finding easter eggs in the game or something and with each found easter egg you would get access to new bonus material in-game then that stat would make a real difference and would make sense to be shown to the player. The same goes for any other stats your character may have - as long as they are important, show them, if they aren't, don't.
Avaible

Postby EriksBlue » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:15 pm

I did think of using the stat to effect gameplay but I'll need to know how to program that.
EriksBlue

Postby Avaible » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 pm

That's right^^

Well, if you need help just say where you're stuck, what you want to do and what you've tried.
Avaible

Postby EriksBlue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:42 am

A draft of what I plan to do.

-I need to make a background for this and a avatar of the character.
-I also want to use these as variables whether you can make certain choices in-game. I think the term is item-binding if i'm correct?
Attachments
Ruffoutline.png
EriksBlue

Postby Momiji » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Image -----Image
Momiji

Postby EriksBlue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:47 pm

No one has to be worried about doing a late post. Input is always appreciated.
EriksBlue

Postby Quadrolithium » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

The Game:
She wants you to lose it
Quadrolithium

Postby Momiji » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Image -----Image
Momiji

Return to Video Game Alley