[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - kind of depressing =_= (some advice...maybe?)

kind of depressing =_= (some advice...maybe?)

Where artists get to show off their art.

kind of depressing =_= (some advice...maybe?)

Postby silver_moonrise » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 am

i just overlooked the other artists. Haha, now im feeling ... emo? oh well, im kinda curios about how the decent artists learned, for example, drawing backgrounds or using photoshop, manga studio or whatever.

(And very curios about how everyone came to drawing mangas. I know, i was interestetd so i drew, would be the common answer, but still =D)

my art skill is so far this:
Attachments
10.jpg
Use you creativity to make a rainbow.. or something useful =_=
silver_moonrise

Re: kind of depressing =_= (some advice...maybe?)

Postby Avaible » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 am

You're already better than I will ever be, so don't be frustrated;)

Aside from that, I'm not too bad with Photoshop beside being unable to draw anything grand, so I suppose you should be able to do it, too. I learned the basics myself but there are a lot of tutorials out there which will really help you. It's going to take some time to try all those things out but it's fun when you get the results. As for drawing, some friends of mine who are pretty good at it started more or less with colouring lineart from Deviantart. After that, drawing using references and watching the better artists draw on Ytube and the like.
As for the rest, it's a matter of not stopping to draw, isn't it?
Avaible

Postby ErikB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 pm

I think it looks perfectly fine and there's no doubt there's potential in your drawing. If you feel discouraged by other people's work then you need to remind yourself that the only difference between you and them is experience, since they've probably just done it longer than you have. In any creative field you will encounter other people who have more experience and it's certainly nothing you should feel discouraged about.

I'm a self-taught artist, meaning I learned it the hard way. It's not hard to get better if you have the right attitude. You just need to draw more. For every drawing you make, you should in theory get a little bit better. At least that was the case for me.

I used to post a lot on deviant art and read people's comments. I'd ignore all of the positive ones and only read the negative feedback to find what I was doing wrong. I also studied "good" artists' work and copied them to see what I did differently. I would also do themed drawings where if I found I was bad at drawing legs I'd try to draw a woman with sexy legs. Even if I failed I learned something I could bring to my next drawing.

Along the way you grow familiar with whatever tool you're using to the point where it disappears and just becomes a canvas for you to paint on. I personally developed an art style that involves a lot of sketching and erasing, since I don't know ahead of time how to draw something. I essentially brute force it until it looks right.

Another thing that I learned while working on a computer is to use all the wonderful tools you get on a computer: undo/redo (I've bound my pen's buttons to these), layers, etc.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby jvcscasio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Is there a good program to use to draw?

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby Avaible » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

If you're drawing using your computer I would first recommend that you get yourself a drawing tablet that let's you draw with a pen instead of the mouse. could be one option for that.

As for the programm, you can use Photoshop or Gimp. Easy Pain tool SAI probably has the easiest to understand interface for sketching etc.
Avaible

Postby ErikB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Which tool you use isn't really important. At the end of the day they're just tools and won't do the work for you.
The most important thing is that you use a tool that you're comfortable with using.

I like to recommend , which is the tool I use. Unfortunately they've halted work on the english version but it has a built-in record and playback function, so you can download paintings made by pro artists and replay them on your computer. It's a great way to learn new techniques.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby jvcscasio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I have a tablet already^^

I only knew Photoshop and Paint to draw, but my PS have lots of bugs and I can't draw great images on paint ^^'

My Photoshop worked great in Windows XP, but now I' using the Windows 7 and great part of my old programs don't work well on it...

Thank you for the advice, I'll download the programs (If there is a free version, of course)...

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby ErikB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

There should be a free trial, but the program itself is about $70, which is comparable to the price of a video game.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby jvcscasio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I live in Brazil, it is dificult for me to pay anything outside my country ^^"

jvcscasio
FonFon

Postby skim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 pm

When I didn't have access to a copy of Photoshop, sometimes I used OpenCanvas: http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/ or would keep a sketchbook instead (draw on paper, no digitalization).
But I've known how to use photoshop for 12-13 years now (ever since the 4.0 days...) and have been drawing for just as long.
This is a progress post: http://skimlines.deviantart.com/art/Progress-89680437
skim

Postby jvcscasio » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am

Seing how long have you being drawing, I think I'll have to pratice some pair of years from now...

I'm lucky that I'm not drawing my next game, I'm only doing the story adaptation (I'm adapting a brazilian mangá...)

This:
http://www.brasil-ex.com/images/SF_3701.jpg
http://www.brasil-ex.com/images/SF_3702.jpg
http://www.brasil-ex.com/images/SF_3709.jpg
http://www.brasil-ex.com/images/SF_3717-18.jpg

jvcscasio
FonFon

Return to Art Gallery