Critique my Sprites?

Where artists get to show off their art.

Critique my Sprites?

Postby Ty93 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey guys!

I just recently joined the forum (like literally a few mins before making this post) and I'm pretty interested in Novelty. I'm using it right now to create my own dating sim starring some female characters from another story I'm working on. I'm currently working on my first game and after watching a bunch of tutorials, I think I have a pretty decent understanding of both Novelty and Designer.

Anyways, on to the main topic. These are the sprites of one of the girls that will appear in my game. I'm a decent drawer but most of the time, drawing on the tablet makes me draw not as good as I do on paper. It's because I'm still not really used to drawing on it. My guess is that I draw about 5x better on paper than I do on the Computer.

My art style is sort of a mix between Anime and American art. It's heavily inspired by the Persona 3 and 4 art style by Shigenori Soejima. He's probably my favorite artist because his work is so original in my opinion.

So anyways, sorry to bore you with all my talking, but I'd appreciate if you give me a critique on the sprites. Sometime in the future, I'll upload a download link for my game so that people could see it. :D
Ty93

Re: Critique my Sprites?

Postby Avaible » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 pm

She's got some nice expressions, and the head being more detailed than the lower body is a reasonable choice for use in a visual novel. The detailed expressions cover the simple colouring of the skirt and legs, which could actually add to the player concentrating on her face more.
Though I also have a tip out of own playing experience: The more you need to read and keep up with dialogue the less frequently you look at the expressions of the characters in front of you. Most of the time your gaze is glued to the text box, and at most that means you can also still somehow see the upper body - but not changes of facial expressions anymore. Thus it's a good idea to not to neglect the details of the clothes, and one good strategy to get the players attention when changing the characters expression is to also change their pose. That doesn't mean you should draw as many completely different poses as facial expressions, it's enough to only move the arms slightly or maybe have the hair fall in a different direction whenever you want to direct the players attention to the change of the characters expressions. This helps alot especially with long dialogue scenes, while also making the player feel more engaged by noticing things he might have missed otherwise only concentrating on the text.
Avaible

Postby Ty93 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep what you said in mind. I still have plenty of characters I haven't designed yet that are gonna be in my game so I'll incorporate what you said when I'm making them. :D
Ty93

Postby fleet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I can't draw, so my opinion of anyone's artwork is of little value. I like your work.
I hope you have fun making your VN with Novelty.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby skyefrost » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 am

She's a really pretty sprite, but what's really bothering me is her arms. they are too short (the ones that has both hands together down) not the others. (the bending arms one are fine.)

. Try looking at other pictures or even using your own body as a reference when you do a pose.
When you do a pose like that your arms should reach below the torso . (aka crotch area).
As I don't feel like drawing out what I mean I'll just give link to some pictures. (though I couldn't find the exact pose but enough to demonstrate what I mean.
This girl in the middle. As you can see if we want the arms to end up at the point that you want to we would have to bend the arms.

http://konachan.com/post/show?md5=569b1 ... ca03dfbd6b

The exact same pose but sitting down has the arm extending out past that area cause she is bending forward.

But other then that everything else seem pretty good! the coloring and the face looks professional and nice and really good job on the expression.
skyefrost

Return to Art Gallery