[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Ruthless critiquing needed!

Ruthless critiquing needed!

Where artists get to show off their art.

Ruthless critiquing needed!

Postby TheCloudExpert » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi. I hope you guys to help critique my art. You can be as savage as a mountain uh..bear if you want cause I need all the help I can get! I realise that others tend to notice mistakes a lot faster than the individual themselves.. :shock: Please probe my art well, like every nook and nanny if you can ;) Point out mistakes, defects or maybe something you like about it as well. Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Here's the link:
TheCloudExpert

Re: Ruthless critiquing needed!

Postby fleet » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not an artist, so don't put too much importance on my comments.
The left arm looks too thin. Also, the legs appear to be different thicknesses.
Otherwise, I think it looks okay.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby ErikB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Looking at her right hand, the lines doesn't come together.
That's fine for a sketch, but I believe that you should practice some patience and try to figure out how those lines come together, as well as the shape and details of the hand before you move on to coloring it. Figuring that stuff out is hard, but that's how you build up knowledge. If you think something is too hard then that's where you can start practicing.

I wouldn't redraw this, instead I would draw the same character in a different pose and try to incorporate the critique you receive here and on deviant art.
ErikB
Novelty developer

Postby vanderfoo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Nice design and pose!
The hands need work on though. ;)
I'd do anything,
Sing songs that lovers sing,
If I could change your mind,
Am I not the loving kind?
-Girls Aloud Ftw!
vanderfoo

Postby pineapplepocky » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Although this is posted last year, might as well give my two cents, as you've asked for an honest critique.

I assume you are staring at the girl towards her left body, arm holding a small blade, and dangly things.
You sort of took note of it but not really, that things that protrude towards the viewer are larger. But in this picture, it's too extreme, so it's too obvious one arm is significantly smaller and scrawnier than the other and, which is already slightly too small. The head is beautiful. The entire left arm (arm with glove) has limbs too small compared to the one in front (when you compare limbs, you usually compare it to the one that sticks out most). Your coloring is a little sloppy everywhere, and i'm not sure that's your intention but I know for sure you should have finished coloring the fingers under the glove.

There is a lack of color contrast on everything but the pants. Best way to figure this out is to 'desaturate' everything (remove the color so it's grey scale) and see if colors blend in too much or pop out excessively. You should keep it so the most important things pop up, even if there's no color. This is where shading comes in. There are parts where you shaded, left alone, or barely touched. If you plan to add shadows, make sure it is consistent. And since you have a variety of textures, you should study up on how lighting affects certain things (like the fluffy part on her leg would have softer lighting, but metal would have much more light and shadows). Regarding hair, I am not sure what your intention was when you colored Your shading isn't very controlled, so something you should try out is use the lasso tool, select the area you want to shade, and then use your soft brush to color that area, so it doesn't 'bleed' over to other parts of the picture. Helps make a clean edge on colors.
Current VN project: Destiny Limit.net
FB:
Art Site:
Deviantart:
webcomic:
pineapplepocky

Return to Art Gallery