[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Where artists get to show off their art.

What am I doing wrong?

Postby Ants64 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi everyone...as normal my Art not right and i try many tutorals and how-to draw
but not one of them have helped too much...
I'm almost ashamed but i'm posting them up so you can help me out...
here are two examples:
both are just test (and one was inspired by watari from death note but it not him! (no matter how close he looks ))

and...

now my best one would be
But he not for the novels yet
Oh...what am I doing wrong? please help a guy out
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby NimuNi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 pm

... It would be easyer to help if you showed how you want it to be.. I mean cause then we would be able to tell you how to make it look like you want it to ... I guess .
/ sorry for my bad english :oops:
NimuNi

Postby Saint Vain » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Out of curiousity, how old are you? It looks like you're having a difficult time.

But you have a good start and know what you are trying to do.

It seems like you are using MS paint, which is free of course, but not the best software for creating a professional looking drawing. You also seem to be using a lot of line and circle tools to do the drawing for you.

The best way you're going to get better is to NOT draw on the computer. Learn how to draw by hand first, then you'll know what to do when you try drawing on the computer. After you know how to draw by hand, you can try using a tablet with the computer. :)

In the first example, his neck takes up too much of his body and his shirt is floating much too high. Shorten the neck and broaden the shoulders. If I can see that deeply into his shirt I should also be able to see his shoulders...it doesn't make any sense that his arm is off to the side but I can't see it...it does not even seem to be connected to the body. It has a lot of other proportional errors as well. Try looking at real life photos to get a good idea of how big things are in comparison to each other and what goes where.

Sorry I couldn't help you any more than that since I'm not the best at giving structured critique, but again I highly reccomend learning to draw by hand first. And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, I was just being blunt.
Saint Vain

Postby Berwald » Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Yup, practice makes perfect after all. Try doing sketches when you can, and you can always use reference pictures for poses, hands and feet (those are what I find the trickiest to draw). Don't worry about coloring for now.

Sketches and practice -> more practice -> inking/lineart with a tablet or scan inked art -> use Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI or other programs to color in your drawings

And be patient. It takes a while to become a decent artist. Good luck! :mrgreen:
Berwald

Postby Ants64 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

not to give out to many details but 14...(we ll have a privacy of coruce)
I can easily draw on paper but in Gimp and Paint I can't (sadly I don't have paint shop or Photoshop or so-on)
As you can see I can draw ok (or better on paper)
as you can see i can draw hand to paper but not to computer.... (these are the only pictures on my PC that I have scanned in but I do tons) not my best but not my worst....
but any criticism is fine so long as it has a reason! So thank you for trying to help and i hope i get better
P.s if you can name any good free paint-like tools please tell me there name xD
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Berwald » Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Well, just avoid Microsoft Paint.

You could always download the 30-day free trial of Paint Tool SAI (English/Japanese Versions) or even Photoshop. It's better to buy either program so you can get better at transforming your art into digital art. And I'm not supposed to say this, but there are probably pirated versions somewhere out there available for download. But that's illegal. So forget I said anything. :oops:

Those drawings are a a bit better than the ones you did on MS Paint. :P Of course, you have to keep practicing. It seems you used a pen for some of them. It's better to use a pencil first as it is much more suited for sketching, and you can easily erase it too. I guess you should work on the anatomy of human bodies, try looking for the plethora of free tutorials on how to draw bodies on the Internet. Before you start drawing, you gotta know the basics after all, such as basic shapes and body proportions, how to draw heads, hair, arms, legs, hands (!) and feet (!), and the differences in male and female anatomy. Then you can move on to faces, eyes, noses, mouths and then how to draw people at different angles.

It seems a lot, but it really isn't. And don't be afraid to use reference pictures of real people in photos for poses or other physical features you want (such as maybe a particular hairstyle).

Good luck! :mrgreen:
Berwald

Postby Ants64 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm

well thank you i will continue to practise! Thank you all
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Berwald » Sat May 05, 2012 11:43 am

Don't give up! :mrgreen:
Berwald

Postby fleet » Sat May 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Ants64,
I am very hesitant to say this, but are there art classes available where you live? If so, perhaps you should consider taking a class.
You have the first requirement to be an artist, which is the desire. Don't give up on learning to draw.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Postby Ants64 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

I am still in high school... But i do take Art as a GCSE
(soon in college will do art relateted topics)
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Ants64 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I now have All the adobe stuff Aka Paintshop now!
Now... TEACH me how to not suck at drawing :lol:
If someone could...Give me a few links to look at please, just as tutorals or such to help guild me along would Really help...
I'v been drawing Everyday it seems after leaving high school... So i hope im getting better xD
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby KamenKaiden » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:34 am

Hi!

I'm impressed with your drawings! You seem to be really good at details. Unfortunately, as with everything, practice makes perfect. I'm trying to improve my drawing skills, as well. I thought I'd share two links that I've found to be helpful.

Inkscape () ~ This is like Adobe Illustrator, except it is free.

~ Aviary is also good for doing computer vectors and editing graphics.

Mark Crilley has a lot of helpful tutorials for learning to draw, especially anime and manga or comic characters. He starts from basics. He also has a book, which I'm sure you could get from the library or as an e-book. This is his website:
He has a Youtube channel with many free tutorials:

If you are interested in any other art methods (like painting, charcoal, ink, etc.), I have several other great websites.

Good luck with your drawing! Keep us updated on your progress! :)
KamenKaiden

Postby Ants64 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 am

Thank you For helping but...Hahah I got adobe illustrator and subscribed to mark crilley channel already :oops:
But i am making a new piece to show my work now and i think it's a bit better then other times
post picture as soon as it is done
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby Ants64 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 am

Here my attempts with paintshop
this one is not great...but it was me just playing around with the new software
A bit better...Bit too green for me but xD~ I don't think it's that bad, not great tho
any ideas? :idea:
Forgive my dyslexia
Give in to the madness
Ants64

Postby kittycatmg6 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:43 pm

You're definitely improving, and you seem to have a solid start!

As for advice, I would suggest learning the basics first and foremost (color theory and anatomy knowledge are critical). Although I know it's boring to draw, practicing realism really helps since stylized works are based off of reality. Then try looking through some of your favorite stylized artists and pick out some of the things you like about their work. Keeping a folder on your computer filled with work you like really helps you to start noticing patterns in their style that you can pick out. Watching videos of artists work on their stuff can also help too. If you can invest in a pen tablet, it can do wonders once you get used to it although it's not necessary. I've seen lots of artist create great work with just traditional stuff, but it's more common to see digitally created sprites in VN games.
kittycatmg6

Return to Art Gallery