[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Novelty forum • View topic - Critiques on coloring

Critiques on coloring

Where artists get to show off their art.

Critiques on coloring

Postby kaito-len » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 am

Hi, I'm really a noob here cuz I started today :)
I still dunno a lot of stuff, but Imma creative person and I wanted to start a VN.
Well, I think my linearts are pretty regular, but I think the coloring is really horrible T.T wish it could be better D:
I already have the story in my mind, but still... I'm really worried about the coloring of my drawings >.<
Can anyone please help me? I need some critiques so I can improve ^^
please please please pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase?

here are the links: (sorry I dunno how to post a pic D:)

kaito-len

Re: Critiques on coloring

Postby fleet » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm not an artist, so I can't offer constructive criticism.

To directly upload files, when you make a post look below the box where you enter text. You'll see a tab that says Upload attachment. Click on it, and browse to the file on your hard drive. :D
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet

Re: Critiques on coloring

Postby Cerulean » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I don't know if you're still around or looking at this, but 'good coloring' comes with a good lineart (otherwise, you don't use lineart at all and start with the forms of the object). What program do you use? Although your linearts are good, they're inconsistently drawn in the first two examples, as if you drew them on MS Paint, but from your colors, I can tell that you didn't use that program, which means it's possible to have nice clean lines. You also have an idea of volumes, so I suggest you continue to study light and where the shadows are while at the same time, look at color theory and try to apply it to your work. It should help. And finally, don't use the airbrush for shading. It's why your color look so flat. Try a regular brush to get stronger shades. It should improve the way your art looks by at least.

In other words, visit your basics and continue from the ground up. Good coloring is interconnected with other skills that you're supposed to have already, in particular, your values, which your current art work lacks.
Cerulean

Return to Art Gallery